Little Soldier Part 2

Continuation of the prompt, but a couple of years later. 

"Sorry," Bucky shrugged, kicking off Sam's blue Sorry! piece with his red one. 

"Again?!" Sam squealed. "Why do I feel like you two are teaming up on me?"

You smirked. You and Bucky were teaming up on him, and Sam's reactions were priceless. The two of you tended to do that a lot, but Sam never seemed to notice. Sometimes, though, you would team up with Sam, just so you two could have a laugh whenever Bucky let out a scream. Like the time you and Sam placed plastic spiders in Bucky's bed -- that was funny. 

You glanced at the time and quickly got up from your seat. 

"Where are you going?" Sam asked as he got ready to move his piece. 

"In case you forgot, I still have to go to school. I'll see you later."

"See you, kiddo," Bucky said, ruffling your hair. 

You called Bucky by his first name, but he could easily pass as a father figure. In fact, he was. About a year after you moved in, he filed the adoption papers. You two woke up early and he trained you in combat, you ate breakfast together, usually played a game with another Avenger, and you went to high school. 

"Love you! See you tonight for weekly pizza?" 

"You bet!" he replied, opening the door for you. You placed a kiss on his cheek. 

Little did either of you know, it would be a while until you saw him again. 

~~~~~

He was dusted, like half of the world. 

You had been watching it from a small TV in the corner of the classroom. As soon as you heard about the Avengers fighting the villain Thanos, you didn't hesitate to walk out of the classroom. While you were at your locker, you received a text from Bucky saying "I'll be fine. Stay at school. Plan on pizza tonight :)"

And you believed him. You had never regretted something more. 

But you did stay. You, along with your classmates, watched the news. Classmates were calling their loved ones with tears in their eyes. You couldn't call anyone -- they were all busy fighting. Instead, your eyes stayed glued to the screen. 

Despite the big enemy, you had no doubt that the Avengers would win. They were the Avengers, after all. You held hope within that everything would be okay. 

"Do you think..." one of your classmates approached you, but their words quickly faltered. You looked down at their hands, which were turning into gray dust. 

"What the hell?" you blurted, looking into your classmate's eyes with terror. You scanned the room, noticing half of them fade away from your eyes. You glanced back up at the TV screen, noticing that the news reporter was experiencing the same thing. A helicopter started to nosedive in the distance. 

You froze. If anything, you should have cried or run or screamed. But you couldn't move a thing. You were only knocked out of your daze when your cell phone started to buzz. 

"Hey, (Y/N)," Steve said, his voice sounding tired. "I'm so, so sorry..."

You dropped your phone, not caring that the screen had cracked. 

He didn't have to say anything else. You knew what had happened. 

Bucky had turned to dust. 

There wouldn't be a body to cry over, no funeral to attend.