Just an Intern

Synopsis: (Y/N) is an intern for the Avengers, but the team gives her a hard time.

"They're a rough bunch at first, but you'll warm up to them," Pepper told you as you were escorted into the Avengers Tower.

After multiple tests and training courses, you had finally received the job. Ever since the rest of your family was murdered by a small terrorist group, your dream was to be fighting along with the Avengers and takedown groups like this. You just hoped that you were good enough.

"I appreciate your words, Pepper, but it isn't every day you get to meet these guys," you answered shyly.

"Don't be nervous, but don't get too cocky. You have a job to do."

Your high heels clicked down the hall and echoed through the large building. You couldn't help but look around in awe.

"They should be waiting right in here," Pepper said, gesturing to the door.

You wiped your sweaty hands on your white blouse and black dress pants. Sucking in a deep breath, you cracked open the door and slid through.

None of the Avengers noticed your presence. Clint was on his phone, Natasha was trying to teach Steve what a meme was, Bruce and Tony were in a deep conversation, Thor was messing around with his hammer, and the Maximoff twins seemed to be having a contest using their powers (due to the couch flying midair and Pietro's continuous laps around the room). Sam and Bucky were messing around with Sam's remote control plane.

What did you expect? Just because you were an intern for the Avengers didn't mean you'd get noticed as soon as you stepped into the role.

"Hello---"

You slammed to the ground. Your head ached as Pietro walked over with a mischievous look on his face.

"Sorry, Agent. Didn't see you there," he apologized, gesturing his hand to help you up.

"Well, this Agent was in your running path," Tony countered, just now paying attention to you.

You turned down Pietro's hand as you scurried to your feet, brushing pieces of hair out of your face.

"I'm not an agent," you grumbled, collecting yourself.

Bruce raised his eyebrows. "Who are you, then?"

The rest of the team looked at you, ready to take you down in a moment's notice.

No wonder these guys needed an intern; they were hardly able to remember things that were on their schedule.

"I'm your intern."

Everyone's shoulders slumped.

"Babysitting duty?" Bucky groaned. "For how long?"

Though his complaining was barely a whisper, you picked it up.

"Mr. Barnes, I highly doubt you will have to 'babysit' me. I'm only here for 6 months."

"Great!" Tony exclaimed, having more excitement than you thought he would have. "Now we have someone who can take out the trash."

"Tony," Steve sighed.

You expected to be hurt, but this comment you could easily brush off. After years of being rejected from the FBI and CIA, you were used to being seen as smaller or weaker than you actually were.

"Who hired you? What are your skills?" Tony asked, approaching you.

On the inside, you were glad he didn't ask questions about your past, including the day your family was murdered, the day you were taken in by the nice orphanage lady, the multiple times you were rejected a job that involved fighting crime, etc.