Dressing Up

Synopsis: You're not a huge fan of parties (or wearing dresses due to low self-confidence), but you're required to attend one of Stark's.

"Natasha, I really don't want to go," you sighed as you turned down another one of her dress picks for you. "Besides, dressing up isn't really my thing."

Natasha sighed. "(Y/N), you personally know that I'd rather wear sweatshirts and sweatpants over a dress most of the time, but dressing up like once a year is tons of fun. You get to have an excuse to do your hair nicely and paint your nails and buy a pretty dress."

"These dresses aren't going to work," you said, pointing to the low cutting, high slitted dresses. Not only would you feel more insecure than you already are, but you were trying to find more excuses to hide in your room and scroll on your phone. 

"JARVIS!" Natasha yelled. "Tell Wanda and Pepper I need them, and make sure Pepper brings Tony's credit card."

"We," she said, looking at you, "are going to find something you feel confident in stunning in."

"Oh my gosh, are we going shopping!?" Wanda exclaimed, running into the room. She had her purse ready and shoes on. "I don't really need a new dress or shoes, but I'm all for it."

Pepper walked in also, but she was much more composed than Wanda. 

"You're cool with us spending your husband's money on expensive stuff?" you asked.

She raise her eyebrows. "(Y/N), have you seen all the cars he has bought? Heck, he bought me a giant bunny. This is one of the biggest events of the year! The press will be there, people will be there, pictures will be taken--"

Natasha looked down. This was exactly why you didn't want to go. You were an Avenger to protect people, not to become famous or go to big fancy parties where people would be talking about you on social media.

"But, you know, since you aren't exactly an official Avenger, maybe you won't get that much attention," Pepper added, trying to redeem herself from her mistake. 

It didn't help much.

"Let's just get a dress and be done with this whole conversation."

~~~~~

The dress shop was your worst nightmare. Glitter, dresses, expensive stuff, managers coming up to your face to try to sell you something, and worst of all, decisions. 

"What about this one?" Natasha asked, holding up a showy red dress. 

You immediately grabbed it out of her hands and threw it back on the rack. 

"Nat, I thought we were here to find a dress that wasn't like all the other ones back at the tower."

You were still empty handed after spending 30 minutes in the shop, while Pepper was trying to help Wanda downsize her picks.

"You can't wear all of these to one party," Pepper reminded her.

"Yes, but Stark has a party almost every week. I'll find a use for these other ones, if they fit."

Pepper shrugged, not willing to deny Wanda the dresses she was holding as Wanda ran to the fitting room to try them all on. 

"Are there any dresses you're willing to try on?" Natasha asked, practically begging.

You scanned the room, and your eyes caught one dress that you didn't hate. 

"I guess I'll try this one on."

You walked to the dressing room, your hands starting to sweat.

You hated dresses. It reminded you of the time you were forced to seduce men to complete missions. Dresses made no attempt to hide your faded scars.