He Isn't The Bad Guy Part 3

You had two opposite words racing through your head. One was begging you to run, get away from death herself. The other one was urging you to charge and get the sacrifice over with.

It was a game of tug of war, and both sides were equally strong. Your feet didn't do either. You had frozen.

"That's a reaction I've never seen before," Hela admitted, walking closer to you. "For an Avenger, you don't seem very..." She waved her hands around, trying to pick a word. "Mighty," she chose.

She observed you, but her eyes fell on the dagger. Her face morphed into fake pity. "Such a shame. I would let you live, but I can't let a mortal take me down."

You snapped out of it just in time. You tilted your body slightly as a large black knife whizzed past your ear, nicking it. You touched your ear with the tip of your finger and pulled your finger away. They were coated with blood.

"So the mortal has a brain. That only makes this slightly more difficult," she said, summoning another knife. However, it is knocked out of her hands by a smaller one.

Hela looks past you to Loki. 

"Brother," she chuckled. "This would be a lot easier if you kneeled."

"Not a chance," he replied, brandishing a spear and staff.

"Perhaps I could convince you," she smirked. "You are a pretender, Loki. You've never been equal to your older brother Thor. Join me, and you and I will rule Asgard together."

You widened your eyes and looked back at Loki. He opened his mouth to object but he quickly shut it. He was clearly weighing the consequences. 

All of his life, he had lived in the shadow of his brother. Thor got the hammer and the throne. Odin had favored Thor more; Loki was just adopted. 

"Loki..." you whispered. 

"Perhaps we can come to an arrangement?" Loki answered, approaching Hela.

If it was you against the two gods, you were screwed. 

Hela smiled a malicious smile as she placed her hand out, encouraging her brother to take it. 

"Loki, what are you doing?" Your heart raced. 

"I'm sorry, darling," Hela answered for him. "Mortals should really stay out of Asgard's personal matters. We're just accomplishing some family business."

All hope had been lost when Loki took his sister's hand. Instead of falling apart, however, your face hardened. The enemy wanted to see you weak, Natasha had once told you. 

Loki looked back at you and gave you a small, sincere smile. 

This was a distraction. 

Unfortunately, it was an ill-timed one. 

You noticed enemy soldiers surrounding the palace, and Hela's smile wasn't at all a warm one. Only a small moment after Loki had taken Hela's hand, she summoned another knife and plunged it through Loki's stomach. 

Loki gasped and fell to the ground, then looked at you apologetically. One, he couldn't help you advance any further. Two, he now felt guilty for those many years ago when he had stabbed you in the same place. 

"One god down, one more to go," she cackled. 

She turned around and glared at you, disappointed that she still had a mere mortal in her presence. She threw you into the wall with a wave of her hand. Your head smacked the stone and metal. 

"Guards!" she ordered. "Advance!"

You took in gulps of air. Once Hela left this room, there would be no chance of you winning the battle at all. The impact had probably broken a couple of your ribs. You would never catch up to her in time.