Chapter 8

"What's wrong with you, you look like you didn't sleep at all last night." Soojung pointed out as Jaemin slipped into the lecture hall seat beside her.

"You try sleeping when you live with Chenle and Jisung." Jaemin snapped back. He noticed Soojung flinch, clearly surprised at how grumpy Jaemin was. She was smart though, deciding to turn back towards her notes and avoid talking to the male.

The truth was that Jaemin didn't sleep much. After that one night Zhilan decided to walk home, she decided to do it again and again after deals and every time, she would get home later and later. This also meant that Jaemin was sleeping later and later.

Jaemin didn't understand why he couldn't sleep. Zhilan had played with her knife a few times as she sat on the couch, watching a movie with Chenle and Jisung. She had also returned from drug deals gone wrong with less scratches in comparison to Jeno and Haechan. Sometimes she came back covered in blood, but it was obvious that the blood was not hers. It was clear that Renjun was right, Zhilan could protect herself, and protect herself well.

Maybe it's because she's a Phoenix, Jaemin thought as the class began to start. He was typically a good student but today, it was hard to focus with so many thoughts in his mind.

Jaemin knew that no matter how much he disliked Zhilan, she was still a Phoenix. Her safety still mattered to the gang, which meant it still mattered to him.

Maybe I should tell her to come home earlier, Jaemin thought but immediately dismissed it. No, I can't do that.

Jaemin blinked as Soojung flipped the page for him and he realized he was beginning to fall behind in class.

Ugh, I can't think about this now, Jaemin told himself, running his fingers through his hair.

He adjusted his seat, trying to focus in class but the thoughts were still running in the back of his head.

...

Zhilan was surprised to see that Renjun was home when she woke up that morning, used to him being at the art studio or something.

"Why are you here?" Zhilan yawned before turning to her side to stare at the male sitting on his bed.

"Why can't I be in my own room?" Renjun asked without looking up from his phone.

"Someone's in a bad mood." Zhilan mumbled as she adjusted her position in her bed, getting comfortable in her bed again. That didn't last long though as a few moments later, the door to their room burst open, Jisung entering.

"Hyung, are you coming or not? Chenle's getting impatient." Jisung said, nudging Renjun. Zhilan giggled, making Jisung freeze as he realized that she was awake.

Renjun chuckled, patting Jisung's back. "I'll be ready in fifteen minutes."

Jisung nodded his head, immedately scurrying out of their room. Once the door closed, Renjun turned towards Zhilan.

"What did you do?" Renjun asked as he made his way to the dresser. Zhilan rolled over so she was facing the wall, giving Renjun the privacy he needed to change.

"I did nothing." Zhilan said, closing her eyes. "I don't get why he's scare of me either."

"Maybe because Jaemin doesn't like you." Renjun said, his voices moving around the room with the male as he got ready.

"Why does Jaemin's opinion even matter?" Zhilan asked, feeling sleep begin to take over again.

Maybe I shouldn't have stayed out that long last night.