Chapter 22

"Yeah actually, I think we are." Jaemin said as they walked, the words being unexpected to Zhilan. "I think we are pretty compatible."

"You do?" Zhilan asked, looking up at the male. Jaemin nodded.

"You're stubborn, I'm smart. You can't cook, I can. You get injured easily, I'm a medic. You're literally a child that I take care of so yeah, I think we make a pretty good pair." Jaemin said with a grin, earning a light slap from Zhilan.

"You know compatibility is much more than that." Zhilan pointed out as Jaemin chuckled to himself.

"I know, I'm just joking." Jaemin told her. "I don't know, I just feel like you understand me better than my friends do sometimes."

"Really now?" Zhilan said, unconvinced. Jaemin nodded.

"I mean sure, we disagree a lot but you also understand when I don't want to talk. And you pick up on small things that I do, reading my mind." Jaemin said. "Not many people can do that."

"Yeah, the others mentioned it too." Zhilan said, recalling her talks with Ayeon and Soojung. "They say it's really hard to figure out what's in your mind but I don't know. Most of the time, you just want your own time and space and want people to respect that."

"Exactly." Jaemin said with a sigh. "I don't get why people think I'm so complex."

Zhilan chuckled, knowing exactly how he felt. "You know, I feel the same way."

It was now Jaemin's turn to be surprised. "Really?"

Zhilan nodded. "Yeah, I think it's because I've been through a lot so they just believe that I always have some deep thoughts or something. I mean I'll be honest, I do think a lot but that doesn't mean I want a lot. Food and a hug are more than enough to keep me happy."

She noticed Jaemin smiling from ear to ear. "I know, I figured that out pretty quickly."

Through this walk, Zhilan figured that maybe she knew Jaemin better than she gave herself credit for. It was true that she didn't know much about his past, but she could sense whatever he wanted at a given time and the same went for him as well. Jaemin didn't even know why she came to Neo City in the first place yet every additional moment that they spent together, it became clearer and clearer that Jaemin knew all the right ways to make her happy.

Something Xiaojun never did.

"Jaemin, I want to tell you something." Zhilan said just as she noticed that the path they were walking on was beginning to even out.

"Hold onto that thought." Jaemin said as he began to walk a little faster. "I want to show you something first."

Zhilan followed Jaemin to a clearing in the trees where they were able to see the city below them. There was a log set right in the middle of it all, a perfect place to sit and enjoy the breathtaking sight.

"Pretty, isn't it?" Jaemin said, motioning to the log.

"It is." Zhilan replied as they sat down together. "And you seriously came here with Jeno?"

"All the time." Jaemin said with a chuckle, naturally putting an arm around her, pulling her tighter to him. In response, Zhilan hugged Jaemin's torso underneath his leather jacket, resting her head on his shoulder.

"Comfortable?" Jaemin asked.

"Very." Zhilan answered, unable to keep the smile from her face.

"Good." Jaemin said, stretching his legs out in front of him. "Now what did you want to tell me."

Oh, Zhilan thought, taking a deep breath. I mean, he would have found out eventually.