Chapter 17

The rest of the week goes by really fast. Today is the last day before my family leaves. My mom, Emory, and I sit in the womens room (a place I haven't been to since the first day I got here) with the queen, Rose, and the rest of the selected. Daxton sent the five girls I told him to home the third day the families were here. We've hung out a lot more over this past week. I'm not sure if he's doing it to please my mom or for his benefit. We only left my room once and that was a disaster.

        He thought it would be fun if we had an after dinner snack in one of the parlors. He had them make us the chocolate lovers delight. Little did we know that word got around to Charlotte. She showed up to "chaperone" us. If I started slouching, she would point it out. If I was to close to Daxton, she'd tell me to move over. One of mine and Dax's favorite things to do is lie on the ground, which is weird now that I think about it. But anyways, there's a huge window in the parlor that we layed in front of. Charlotte almost had a cow when she saw us do this. She made us sit up which made me mad because I was tired and wanted to lie down.

        Other than that we hang out in my room. He always comes right before lunch and waits while I get ready. We lie on my bed and talk or go out on the balcony and just sit. He's gone on dates with other girls, too. I'm still not sure how I feel about that. Yesterday, Sabrina came in the room and started bragging about her date with him. They watched a movie in the theater, big deal. She said that they sat really close and he put his arm around her. When she told us this, I was a little mad. I mean, you shouldn't go telling your love life to the world. But maybe I'm not mad at her. Ugh, I don't know. Whenever one of the girls starts talking about a date with him, my stomach knots up and I clench my teeth. Which is exactly what I'm doing now.

        "Camry?" Blaire says.

        "Hm?" I ask.

        "Has the prince taken you on any more dates?" she asks. I consider lying.

        "We did go on one this week but Charlotte decided to chaperone," I say and she winces.

        "That's not fun," she says.

        "Yeah, I know," I laugh.

        "I bet the prince didn't have any fun at all," she says smugly.

        "What's that supposed to mean?" I ask.

        "Nothing," she says. There's a knock at the door. Then three fast knocks. Then three slow knocks.

        "I'll get it," I say, standing up and rushing to the door. I open it and see Daxton standing there.

        "Do you want to see something beautiful?" he asks.

        "Define beautiful," I say.

        "Just follow me," he whispers.

        "Wait, I have to excuse myself," I say. When I turn back to the room, all eye's are on me. I walk to the queen.

        "May I be excused?" I curtesy. She pulls me close.

        "Is my son out there waiting for you?" she whispers in my ear. I blush.

        "Yes, your majesty," I say and she nods. I make my way out of the womens room and find Daxton waiting outside. He grabs my hand and starts pulling me. We stop in front of a mirror.

        "Why are we in front of a mirror?" I ask, glancing at my reflection.

        "My definetion of beautiful," he says and I duck my head.