Chapter 20

"Miss, you need to let us put a bandage on that," Cecily fusses over my scratch marks.

        "Cecily, just put some medicine on them. I don't care if the other girls see them or not. And as I've told you many times before, if the prince loves me, he won't care what I look like," I say and they all nod.

        "You're right, miss, as always. Now, go show those other girls what true beauty looks like," Josee says and they push me and my wounded self out of my room.

        I keep my head down as a pass all of the guards, thankful that my maids left my hair down this evening. But then I realize if I keep my head down, that shows that Sabrina's won. I lift my head up and keep my eye's on my destination, the Eating Room. I see many guards staring, but I ignore them. My hearts racing as I get closer to the two double doors. Anxiety fills my stomach even though I've told myself I have nothing to worry about. I have two wonderful friends who will stick up for me. And I know that I think that Daxton doesn't care about appearances but what if he does? What if he sends me home because of my face? Where are these thoughts coming from? Daxton isn't like that...right?

         I enter the room. All heads turn to me. Some I try and ignore but some I can't. I glance at Sabrina. Her face is smug. Most of the other girl's faces are shocked. I sit down in my seat and avoid Daxton and James' gaze. I sneak a glance at Alexa at she sends me a supporting smile. I smile back and look back down at my plate.

        "Camry?" James says.

        "Yes?" I reply, my voice wavering.

        "What's wrong with your face?" he asks.

        "What do you mean? Is there something on my face?" I shoot back.       

        "Oh, um, no. You look fine," he stutters and I raise an eyebrow.

        "That's what I thought," I say and take a bite of my steak. No one else talks to me for the rest of dinner. Though, I did here some girls talking about me. I quietly finish my dinner and leave.

        Once I'm back in the security of my room, I take off my gown and put on my sweats. I promised myself I woudn't cry anymore but I know I'm on the verge of tears. I bite my lip and blink them back. I sit on my bed and pull out the Happily Ever After journal.

        A Happyily Ever After would be:

        I woudn't have to deal with stupid crap like mean girls. I wouldn't have a stupid scratch on my face that'll probably turn into a scar. Anyone who was mean to me, would just die. Okay, maybe that's a little extreme but in my happily ever after they wouldn't exist.

        I put up the journal just as there's a knock at the door. Then there's three fast ones. And three slow ones. Crap, I forgot that Daxton and I were going to hang out. I get up and before I can answer the door, he comes in. I turn the scratched part of my face away from him and let my hair fall in front of it.

        "I've said this a million times: Wait for me to answer the door or say come in," I joke but the serious expression on his face doesn't change.

        "What happened?" he asks. I clench my jaw. Right now I'm very fragile and his words are going to break me. I'm going to shatter into a million pieces and I won't be able to stop crying. I swallow the lump in my throat.

        "Alexa was trying to tweeze my eyebrows. Rose accidentally tripped and pushed her, making Alexa run the tweezers down my face," I lie.