Chapter 5

"Miss Camry," James starts but I interrupt.

"Camry," I say and he nods.

"Camry," he starts again, "would he like anything?"

"Besides getting off this jet?" I ask.

"Why don't you want to go? I saw many ladies crying because they didn't get chosen but you're crying because you are chosen. Why?" he wonders.

It's a very personal question, and I've only known James for a day, but still I answer him knowing that I'll probably see him a lot.

"I'll make you a deal," I say and he raises an eyebrow.

"Continue," he says.

"I'll tell you everything you want to know, on two conditions. One, you tell me everything I want to know," I say and he chuckles.

"And two?" he wonders, amused.

"Two," I take a deep breath knowing it's a stupid request but still have to ask, "you have to be my friend."

"You...want me....to be your friend?" he asks slowly.

"Yeah, I guess. You live at the palace, don't you?" I ask and he nods. "We'll see each other at least every other day. It'd be nice to go in there knowing someone."

He thinks about it for a second then says, "Deal. Now answer my question."

"What was it?"

"Why didn't you want to be chosen?"

"For one, I didn't want to leave my family. They mean the world to me and now I'm in another country. And second, I don't want to try and win the heart of someone I don't even know," I explain.

"Yes, but you are going to get to know him," James says.

"Along with fifty other girls, and that 's if I don't get sent home tomorrow," I say and James nods.

"I can see where you're coming from but don't you want to at least try?" he wonders.

"Not really."

"But you don't even know Daxton! You might like him," James insists.

"You're right, I don't know him and I don't want to," I say.

"Let's make another deal. You give him a chance, get to know him, and then decide your feelings about him," James says.

"Fine," I huff and quickly change the subject. "So why are we flying solo?"

"All the girls have their own private jet and escort," he replies.

"But there's fifty of us. That would mean there are fifty jets and fifty escorts," I say.

"Yes, I'm glad you can do math, Camry," James chuckles and I roll my eyes.

"So are all the escorts part of the royal family?" I wonder.

"No, just me. Everyone else is a servant or butler."

"Then why send you? You could have been killed or hurt and you're the princes best friend, why would they send you?"

"The king doesn't particularly care for me," he states.

"But aren't you his nephew?"

"By marriage, not by blood," he says.

We sit in an awkward silence.

"Would you like anything to eat or drink?" he asks.

"Are there french fries?"

"I'll ask," he chuckles and get's up to ask.