Chapter 21

Daxton pulls me into the tunnel and the door slams shut behind us, emersing us in darkness. He flicks on the flashlight, grabs my hand, starts walking.

        "We're going outside of the palace?" I gasp.

        "Yes," he answers.

        "Are you even allowed to do that?" I wonder.

        "I am the prince. I can do whatever I want," he laughs.

        "Have you ever even been outside of the castle?" I ask.

        "Once when I was ten. I found that room and decided to follow where the tunnels went. I ended up in London. I was so frightened that I ran back to the castle," he says, smiling at the memory.

        "You wouldn't survive a day in normal people life," I bet.

        "Oh yeah?" he challenges.

        "Yes, because no one would know who you were. Even if you told them, they wouldn't believe you. You'd probably be put in jail for impersonation," I say.

        "But how can I imperonate myself?" he wonders.

        "You can't, but they don't know that," I explain.

        "So I won't tell anyone who I am. But what about the people who know who I am?" he asks.

        "Ignore them."

        "But what if they come talk to me?"

        "Then ask them very politely to not tell anyone," I suggest.

        "Okay, I guess I could do that. Won't people know who you are?" he says.

        "Let's hope not," I laugh.

        We walk hand in hand in silence until finally, we reach a dead end. On the wall is a ladder and above the ladder seems to be a porthole.

        "Are we in the sewers?" I ask.

        "No, but that's what they think is what's down here. It's a secret tunnel," he explains as he climbs up the ladder.

        "Oh," I say.

        "Are you coming, love?" he says and I ignore the pet name as I climb up behind him.

        "Ready?" he asks.

        "Umm," is all I say as he pushes off the porthole and climbs up. I hurridly climb after him into the cool London night. Many people scurry about, going from one place to another. In the distance, I can see the beautiful castle that I now call home.

        "Dax, what time is it?" I wonder.

        "Almost nine o'clock," he answers.

        "What are people still doing out?"

        "Very busy city," is all he says. He takes my hand and leads me through the streets. He stops at a pastry shop.

        "Would you like one?" he asks and I nod. The line isn't terribly long but Daxton seems very agitated.

        "Hey, you okay?" I nudge him.

        "This line is killing me," he mutters angrily.

        "Just imagine that we're at the palace and the servants are taking extra long to serve the food," I say and he nods. Thankfully, it seems to calm him down a bit. He orders and we find a seat. He takes a bite and his nose scrunches up.