Chapter 9

As we walked into the Eating Room, all heads swiveled to us. Most of the girls were glaring daggers while others smiled politely at us. Even the king was looking at us, his gaze disapproving. Alexa and I walked to the same seats we sat in at breakfast, me beside James and her beside me. Once we were seated, the king blessed our food and we started eating.

"Are we in trouble?" I whispered to Alexa and she shrugged.

"They haven't booted us out yet so I would guess we weren't in that much trouble," Alexa reasoned.

I started filling my plate with the tiny peanutbutter and jelly sandwhiches and grab a bowl of potato soup.

"Do you prefer to have your food on you?" James asks and I turn to him.

"What do you mean?" I wonder and he nudges Daxton.

"It just appears that you enjoy having food on you rather than eating it," Daxton says.

"Look at your dress," Alexa whispers.

My yellow day dress is stained now with soup and and smudges of peanutbutter. I hadn't realized I'd wiped my hands on my dress, or that my soup had spilled. I let out an embarressed sigh.

"My maids are going to kill me," I say and the boys erupt into laughter.

"I'm glad you find my messiness amusing," I scoff and turn to Alexa but even she's giggling. I crack a smile but it quickly fades away when I notice the rest of the girls are staring at us.

"Camry, your maids are going to have to make you twice as many dresses," chuckles Daxton.

"And why is that?" I ask.

"Because you're going to have to change at least six times a day," James laughs.

I quickly stuff my final sandwhich into my mouth. "I'm done with all of you," I say, my mouth full, making them laugh harder. I get up and leave the room.

I walk up to my room and thankfully my maids are in there.

"I am so sorry," I sigh and they all give me confused looks.

"Whatever for, miss?" Josee asks.

"I've now ruined two of your dresses," I say and duck my head.

They search my dress and see the small stains on it and burst into laughter.

"Oh, miss, that's nothing detergent can't get out," Cecily says.

"Really? So you aren't mad?" I ask.

"No, of course not," Courtney says and relief floods through me.

"But you do need a new dress," Cecily says and Josee starts toward my closet to get another day dress.

"No," I say and they all give me surprised looks. "I mean, I'd rather wear my sweats."

"But, miss, you need to go to the Womens Room," Josee protests.

"I can't go in sweats?" I wonder.

"Well you can, but if the queen is there you want to look your best," Cecily explains.

"I'm sorry to disappoint but I'm not going to dress up just for a queen," I say as they help me out of my dress.

"But she's the queen of England," Courtney says.

"Yes but she's also a human being. I bet that queen and the princess owns a pair of sweats, too," I say as I pull on the sweats I had on last night.

"I guess so, miss, but it just isn't formal," Cecily says.

"I am going to the Womens Room in sweats," I say slowly and they sigh, defeated.