Chapter 19

"Where were you this morning?" Blaire asks as we sit in the womens room. Daxton and I had stayed up on the roof for hours. Thankfully, he had servants pack us breakfast. We bathed in the sunlight and ate until a guard came up to get us.

"I had a really bad headache," I lie and by Blaire's face, I can tell she doesn't believe me.

"Oh," is all she says.

I really don't like the women's room all that much. A bunch of girls sit in there all day and do nothing. I'm about to get up, when there's a knock at the door. A servant answers it, saying something to the queen. She nods and the servant opens the door all the way revealing Daxton.

"Ladies," he says getting everyone attention.

"If I call your name, please remain seated. The rest of you can be dismissed," he says. What does this mean? Is he eliminating girls? Or setting up more dates with the girls that remain? At that thought my stomach twists with jealously. But what if it's a good thing? My stomach fills up with anxiety as he starts.

"December Jones, Ashlyn Mathis, Michelle Parson, Olivia Ensly, and Blaire Simmons," he says. All but those girls get up to leave. I glance at Daxton and he shoots me a reassuring smile, making me feel tons better. Alexa and I go straight to my room and flop down on the bed.

"So where were you this morning?" she asks.

"Doing stuff," I laugh. She playfully smacks my arm.

"What kind of stuff?"

"Daxton woke me up early and took me to the roof to watch the sunrise," I say and she giggles in delight.

"Did you do anything besides that?" she asks.

"We talked about different stuff. Like my birthdays coming up," I say and she sits up to look at me.

"When?"

"May the second," I say and she squeals.

"That's next week! How old will you be?" she asks.

"Eighteen," I sigh.

"Do you know when Daxton's birthday is?" Alexa asks.

"I think it was sometime last month because he just turned 19," I shrug.

"You should do something for him," she suggests.

"Like what?"

"A dance," Alexa says and I laugh.

"Like this?" I get up and do jazz hands while running in place.

"Or this," she gets up and starts doing disco. We crack up and we think of more awful dance moves. We're so caught up in the moves that we didn't hear Daxton come in.

"I'm going to have to get dance instructors for you both," he says, startling us.

"Dax, you scared the crap out of us," I laugh.

"What was with the thing in the women's room?" Alexa wonders.

"Elimination," he shrugs. He eliminated Blaire. Yes!

"Ooh, now we're down to 24," I say wiggling my eyebrows.

"24?" Daxton asks.

"Alexa and I are still in the competition. That is until you eliminate us," I shrug.

"Oh," he says and we fall into an awkward silence.

"So why are you here?" I ask.

"I was here to ask you if you wanted to hang out but you are obviously busy," he laughs.