New Beginnings

I slowly open my eyes and see Bill standing with his back to me as he finishes getting dressed. I grab the end of his coat giving a soft tug making him turn to look at me with a soft smile. "Good morning to you as well Pinetree." He sits next to me on the bed giving me a soft kiss on the lips.

"Good morning my captain." I hear him chuckle softly as he ruffles my hair.

He helps me sit up, me groaning in pain a bit. "I think you've had enough bed rest, but between the leg wound and getting stabbed you'll probably need help getting around and I can't just carry you everywhere." He reaches under the bed and pulls out a black cane with a curve handle on top. "This belonged to the man who was captain before me, he was kind and gentle for a pirate. He treated me and Will like family and was like a father to us. As he got sicker and sicker he needed this cane to get around. He never had many personal belongings so this is all I really have of him besides the memories. It will help you get around until you're healed up but I expect you to take care of the cane and don't break it."

He hands it to me as I swing my legs off the bed placing my feet on the wooden floor, already dressed guessing he dressed me while I was asleep. "I promise I will take care of it."

"Good." He stands up and using the cane I slowly rise to my feet having to lean on the cane more than I would like but he was right that I needed help getting around. Bill leads me out to the main deck, me using the cane it thumping against the wood boards. As I reach the main deck I see many of the pirates giving me looks but I'm done letting these guys bother me. I hold my head up high as I follow Bill to the railing of the ship. I have the cane lean against the railing as I hold onto the railing in both my hands using it for support as I overlook the sea, wind blowing through my hair as I smile. I feel a hand on my shoulder and look up seeing him smiling down at me. "Where are we headed Pinetree?"

"You're actually asking me for directions on where to go?" I cross my arms on the railing as I look up at him.

"Well you are my first mate. Where do you think we should go?"

"Um...." Looking around I point in a random direction. "What is that way?"

"That way is a port we went through a few days ago to get supplies to keep you alive and to keep you from bleeding out."

"What about that way?" I point in another random direction.

"That would be the fabled Cayman Islands."

"Fabled? That sounds very promising."

"Legend has it that explorers came to the islands seeking slaves for their homelands and captured the natives. When the natives refused to go with them or tell the men where their gold was the exlporers slaughtered all of the natives and went to take the treasure for themselves but the spirits of the dead natives set an unspeakable curse on the treasure and the explorers were never heard from again."

"Wow that was....I think that story just gave me literal chills down my spine. Is there actually treasure?"

"Only one way for us to find out for sure, but it won't be easy."

"Like anything else in our lives has ever been easy." He pulls me close to him as we look out at the sea towards our uncertain future together.