༄ 𝟗 ༄

As you stepped out into the night, the cold air washed over you. You sighed in relief, leaving the smell of sweat and beer behind.

The back yard of the frat house had a large yard with a pool taking up much of the center. There was a tiki bar at the back, and a deck to your right.

You noticed some people in the pool, some naked, some still clothed. Gross, you thought. Some gathered around the bar. Jean seemed to be bar tending, but you could tell he was tipsy himself. You decided you would go say hi a little later, but first you just wanted to breathe.

You walked over to the deck, scanning for a place to sit. You noticed a girl with a blonde bun smoking a blunt on a pool chair alone.

"Annie?"

She turned slightly to look at you, the moonlight casting on the silhouette of her prominent nose, no certain expression on her face.

"Yo."

"I didn't expect you to be here, to be honest." You sat down on the pool chair next to her. She raised an eyebrow. "I could say the same about you."

She took a puff of the blunt and turned to you. She held it out with two fingers for you to take, and you did without hesitation. Her eyebrow raised once more. "You smoke?"

You shrug and inhale. "Not really. But that doesn't mean i'll turn it down." You coughed ever so slightly, earning a light chuckle from Annie. "You're cooler than I thought, Y/n."

You rolled your eyes playfully. "Thank you?" and she laughs again.

"I know Jean wasn't the real reason you came tonight," You say, inhaling once more before passing the blunt back to the blonde. "What made you decide to show?"

She shrugged. "Dunno. Just wanted to relieve stress, I guess. Shit with my dad."

You realized you didn't know much about Annie at all. All she ever was to you was a mutual peer. You never spoke anything more than a few words before now. I mean, after all, she was pretty intimidating. But you liked this side of her. It felt like she understood you in ways none of your others friends did, even though you barely talked.

"What happened?"

"He's always putting pressure on me to be the best at everything. My whole life, it's been like this. My mom died when I was a kid, and he's always taken his grief out on me. He wanted me to be better than him. And sometimes, he's just too much, you know?"

You nodded, but you didn't really know. Your mom was always supportive with whatever you did. "I just want you to be happy, Y/n. That's all I wish for you."

But you wanted Annie to keep opening up to you. I get that. I'm sorry."

She shrugged again and shook her head. "It's whatever man."

"Hey, ladies!" Jean hollered from the bar. He held up drinks in his hands as he waved at you. "You both came! Come over here, let me serve you chics."

You looked over at Annie and she rolled her eyes at Jean, then looked at you.

"Might as well," she said, a small smile on her stern face.

"Woooo!" All the drunk people at the bar cheered, including Jean, as you walked over. He poured you both a shot.

You looked at Annie. She shrugged and picked up the shot. "To shitty dads." She clinked your glasses together.

"To shitty parents!" The drunk crowd shouted.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
(hi i'd recommend listening to memories by david guetta slowed + reverb at this part cause it matches the vibe ok bye)