9| Bł₲ B₳₦₭

❣︎ ❣︎ ❣︎

❣︎ ❣︎ ❣︎

Tuesday Afternoon

❣︎ Yora ❣︎

Ta'rae and I walked down the long hallway to the hospital room our grandmother was in. We pushed open the door to find her staring intently at the TV.

Jerry Springer.

It took her a moment to notice us. When she did, she paused the TV and took her glasses off.

"Hi girls!" She said to both of us in a cherry tone. We responded back with a less enthusiastic greeting.

"You look like you mean business, Yora. That's unlike anything I think you'd wear." She commented.

"Yeah, Rae forced me into this." I said, nudging her arm.

Rae sucked her teeth. "She had the interview. I needed to."

Gran's face instantly lit up. "Really? Did you get the job?"

"I have to wait for a call." I said with a light shrug. "If I get one, I get the job. And if I don't..."

"Don't think like that! You're an amazing helper. Anyone who can see that would give you this job at the drop of a hat! I don't think there's no reason you didn't get it, sweetheart." Gran reassured me.

It's not like she knew we slept together three nights ago, but okay.

"Enough about the interview. How are you?" I quickly changed the subject.

"Oh, I'm fine. I can't feel the pain in my hip no more. They drugged me up!" Gran said before she burst out laughing.

Ta'rae and I glanced at each other. Only our grandmother would joke about being numbed up from drugs.

Rae shook her head. "Only you, Gran. Only you."

She continued laughing. "Damn right!"

I was starting to think that this was a side effect of those drugs. Maybe it was laughing gas in a more literal sense.

She calmed down a bit and was finally able to speak clearly again.

"I have to say, Yora, I'm real proud of you." She said. "I know your mother would be too."

I smiled at her words despite feeling that knife through my heart again. I could only wish she was alive to see me making differences in my life. I was going to have to leave partying up on the shelf eventually.