xi. skyline

a/n: hey lol 6.4k word count buckle up,  sorry for ghosting 🧍🏾‍♀️

Your POV

My car rolls into the driveway and I notice the presence of a town car. Bizarre. No one should be home at this time.

"Does your family have company over?" I hear come out of my best friend's mouth.

"Doubt it. Got an annoying hunch on who it could be though." I rolled my eyes, and grabbed my things from the back as we approached my front door. "Do you think Vanessa's gonna text me?"

"From the mutual eye banging I witnessed at lunch today I'm gonna go ahead and say yeah."

My chuckles filled the air briefly before we walked inside my house, met by the sight of my father fixing the collar of his dress shirt as he turned around with a wide smile. "Hey girls. How was school?"

I didn't spare so much of a subtle lip curl. "Fine." I said flatly, grabbing Mani's hand and immediately bringing her up the staircase as we approached my room.

"Pumpkin we're having family dinner tonight, Normani is more than welcome to join us! I've got some news I wanna share, pretty big deal so make sure you're at the dining room table at 7pm shar—"

He's cutoff by the sound of my bedroom door shutting firmly. I flop on the bed as my best friend giggles from my desk. "What's so funny?" I prop up on my shoulders and peer at her across the room. She looks so cute in her outfit today.

"You're so mean to your dad I can't help it."

"Well, what am I supposed to do? Be nice to the guy?"

Her response is another round of laughing boisterously as I just examined her. Would it be weird if we hooked up? Should I ask?

"Nah I'm not saying that. I understand your stance. Not trying to change that and even if I were, not trying to get a lecture..."

I couldn't help but notice the lilt in her voice. "I feel like there's a 'but' coming."

She stares timidly but continues, "Maybe you could ease up a little bit, just while he's in town? I mean I know how much it means to your sister having him back home n stuff. They've always been so close."

"Oh my gosh, I thought you were on my side, ugh don't tell me you're siding with the inferior Daytona sister!" I joked in my feigned betrayed demeanor. "Always knew you were a little fruity for her you know. What does she have that I don't?" I sobbed dramatically.

"Oh my goodness- I love both my Daytona sisters although I have an obvious favorable one," She crunched me into a hug as I groaned at her odd strength. I mean seriously I'm supernatural and her grip knocked my breathing out of rhythm. "But for real. You know I'm right. Just try to be at the very least, cordial."

"Was I not cordial just then? I didn't even sling any insults at that busted ass clunker town car he left in the drive way? And I very well could have I mean the guy is rich he could have pulled up in a lambo!"

"Y/N Daytona!" She gritted out, trying to look serious but failed, suffocated giggles following soon after.

"Okay fine. But if I'm the cordial one, who's gonna make this dinner interesting?"

I ignore her rather theatric sigh, and let a devilish thought come to me. I pull my phone out of my back pocket, noting a text from Vanessa that I will most definitely get back to later, and pull up my messages with Camila.

"I don't like that look on your face...Who are you texting?"

"Camila. I invited her over to join us for the family dinner. Guess I should let the old man know in a sec." I set my phone down as I wait for her to reply.