iv. shade

Your POV

"Okay shhhhhtudents! Another free period to work on whatever your soul longs to put on paper. I do hope you haven't been taking advantage of your free time in class these past couple of work periods because you're all expected to have a piece ready for the art show, as you already know. Alright, now get to work, you beautiful young creators!" Mrs. Hudson miraculously said all this in one breath while still managing to spit out every word in crisp clarity.

Mrs. Hudson's class was always enjoyable. From the scent of coffee and the subtle soft hues throughout her class room, to the woman herself who brought a warm feeling of home to her class. Mrs. Hudson was a Japanese-American woman, mid 40s I presume, has a husband and like 4 kids, and she sported a cute little pixie cut. She's a beautiful hearted woman indeed. She truly cares for her students' well being. It didn't take long for me, or anyone for that matter, to realize that.

Now to the subject of what I was going to be drawing for the art show....well. I'm not sure yet, actually. I had spent the last week in our free work sessions just thinking of what to draw. And what resulted? Nothing. I couldn't think of anything and I was running out of options. I looked to my right to see what Ariana was going to draw for her piece. It seemed that she was drawing an eye. Nice. It was simplistic yet eye-catching. See what I did there.

I was watching her as she made slow and steady progress on her sketch

I was watching her as she made slow and steady progress on her sketch. I was insanely bored, after all, so I started really focusing on the detail of it. So much to the point where I noticed that the iris kind of looked like a donut. A small smile crept on my face at the funny thought and I guess this caught Ari's attention because when I looked up at her she was looking right back at me slightly confused and a tad curious.

"Can I help you, Y/N?" She said playfully.

"Oh don't mind me. Just trying to figure out what I'm gonna do for mine. I can't think of shit."

"Well whatever you do, ya can't steal mine. I know I'm brilliant but..." She trailed off while sending me a playful side eye and then returning her focus back to her notebook.

"Excuse me, Miss Grande, but you didn't invent eyeballs you know?" We both laughed.

"Any inspiration behind the drawing? If I may ask..."

"You."

I was taken aback by this, unsure of the implications of her statement. For context, Ariana had voiced her interest in me in the past but that was freshmen year and I told her that I had zero interest in attempting a so called "relationship" with anybody.

Since then, we've been fine, getting closer actually and my hookup habits were made known within my friend circle (and I guess a little bit around the school). They were all fine with it as long as I wasn't making any stupid decisions. Although, now that I think about it, Ari never really had an opinion about any of it.