xiv. pyramids

a/n: i have fully edited the first ten chapters of this book bc i started writing it like 4 years ago and it was a little cringe to me lmfao so feel free to reread. the plot of the story isn't different at all, just the phrasing and some of the dialogue is different

thx for reading xx

Your POV

"So just to make sure I'm understanding... You've just told us that there's a human founded organization that's going around capturing people like us?"

"Yes that is what I'm saying." Camila says. She's sitting on her kitchen chair backwards, her arms propped on the back of it with her head placed on top of them as she's looking at me with a serious face.

I look over at Lauren who's leaning against the kitchen awning, same depressed and worried look on her face. "And you think they took Lauren's pack mate Dua?"

"Yes."

"Where did they take her and why? What do they want with her?"

"I don't know Y/n."

"Ok do you actually not know or are you just keeping things from me again?"

She sighs. "Y/n-"

"Why are they doing this?"

"Because humans are afraid of us. At least that's my guess. They demonize us and are scared. Wanna lock us all away probably." Lauren finally speaks, shrugging tiredly at the end of her sentence.

"Lauren's pretty much got it right. Humans do think we're dangerous. Not only do they want to lock us up they want to study us. Find out our weaknesses. That's why the Captors have gotten better and better at what they do over the years." She exhales deeply.

"Well we need to get Dua back. Like now. I'm not gonna sit here and let some bags of human bones torture one of my own! So let's go let's figure this shit out and save her-"

"Lauren we will do that ok. As soon as we get some leads and some back up."

"My pack is all the back up that's needed we'll sort this shit out"

"No. We need somebody with experience. But I've got that covered so don't worry about that."

Lauren squints at Camila. "Just how much do you know about these people? And how long have you known about what they do?"

"Since I was a kid. Because of my dad. He's taught me everything he knows about them." She looks between the two of us.

"And who taught him?" She asks.

"Shit, himself. My dad's a uh sort of pillar in the vampire race, I guess you could say." She rubs under her eyes.

"But he's had a run in with the captors a few times. He's seen his friends get taken by these people. He's almost been taken himself. He's studied them over the years just like they've studied us so believe me when I say he will find a way to fix this. We will." Her attempts at reassuring Lauren are admirable but I'm not sure if they're landing fully.

Lauren stares back, "I want to meet him. And this so called back up that you're talking about."

"You will."

"Like right now."

"My dad's in Arizona right now. But as soon as he gets back-"

"Well tell him to run his ass back!"

"Lauren, you are not the only one that needs help from somebody like my dad. I'm sorry but you have to wait."

Lauren's eyes are hateful. Desperate. Sad, hurt, pleading. And wide with rage at the reality of this moment. "Fuck. Waiting."