ii. bad blood

It was now around 1 am and I was heading towards the local woods area to do some...well "feeding" I suppose. Yeah, I wasn't kidding when I told Mani I was bloodthirsty, so I figured I'd go find a deer and get some release from my craving. It has definitely been weird getting used to the taste of blood. Usually I don't even suck the deer dry and that's for two reasons. One, I'd feel like a monster if I killed a deer. I mean yeah, I was sucking it's blood but that didn't mean I had to kill the damn thing, now this way the deer would just be weak for a couple days and I get my fill, win-win. And two, I don't really like the taste per say. I just do it because it's almost like this inner voice is telling me that I need it. It's as if though it gives you power because every time I had some of the red liquid, my body had the desire to take on ten men.

And the blood cravings aren't even the weirdest part. Since I was marked back in February, I've gotten significantly stronger and I can run quite quickly. It's all apart of being a vampire.

Vampires and such aren't necessarily a secret around here. There's lot of old tales and myths that circulate around the city. But they still weren't common, nonetheless, so I had taken it upon myself to start research with a friend.

Thus far, I've figured out that all vampires acquire: fangs obviously, super speed, super strength (though it's still incomparable to a werewolf's strength from what I've found out), and the ability to change your eye color.

Now I've experienced my eyes changing color before. It was when I was walking around my house and I stubbed my toe on the bathroom doorway. It had probably been the tenth time I had done it just that afternoon and I was stressing about finals and I was on my period and it was just...a stressful time to say the least. This tid bit, although very melodramatic, has a purpose I promise.

But anyways, when I looked at myself in the bathroom mirror after I had nearly broken my pinky toe, I noticed that my eyes were red. I'll admit, I was taken aback. I blinked a couple times after I had calmed down and my eyes were shortly back to normal. And that was the first time that my eyes changed color.

I was snapped out of my thoughts when I heard something ruffling behind a tree near me. "Who's there?" I called out. "Hello?" Another couple seconds went by and I heard a twig snap. "Alright cut the shit, I ain't scared so might as well come out, punk!" Soon after, a silver wolf creeped out from the trees. It had full emerald eyes that were piercing through my y/ec ones. But theirs were oddly familiar? I took a step closer to get a better look and the beast let out a lowly growl. I felt my fangs extend and I let out a hiss. "Listen I don't want to fight but I'll defend myself if I have to, little guy" I spat out angrily. The mutt cocked its head to the side in confusion while taking a couple steps closer. "What are you doing?" I questioned, and the next thing I knew there was a girl standing in place of where the wolf was.

"What the fuck-"

"Y/n?"

"Lauren? How the hell? Why were you a dog 5 seconds ago?"

"Why are your eyes purple? And- whoa! Fangs?! Since when were you a bloodsucker?!"

I scoffed. "Since when were you a chihuahua?" She growled. "Whoa, down girl. And did you say I had purple eyes?"

"Um, yeah?"

"Are you sure they weren't red?" I was at the zenith of confusion at this point.

"Pretty sure I know the difference between red and purple."

"Hm. Purple. That's new." I definitely had some more research to do later.

"That's not the only new thing. How long you been like this?"

"Well I could ask you the same question, Lern." She rolled her eyes at the childish nickname she had sported unwillingly since middle school.

"I've been like this since birth, dickhead. What about you?"

"Almost 8 months." I replied.

Me and Lern go way back. It was 7th grade the first time I encountered her. It was lunch time and I was walking to my table of friends when I accidentally bumped into the Cuban and my milk spilled all over her.

I tried to apologize but she responded with flinging her mashed potatoes at my face. So then I pulled her hair because I was obviously mad that I had spuds all over me and one thing led to another and we ended up in the principal's office for having a full out brawl in the middle of the cafeteria.

Ever since that day, me and Lauren have been frenemies. At first it was really bad, we hated each other through the rest of middle school and constantly had fist fights whenever we saw the other in the hallways. But freshmen year we had Bio together and we realized that maybe the other wasn't so bad. I wouldn't say that we're close friends or anything though. I lowkey talk shit on her in the halls and I know she does too. So there's still a small amount of unresolved bad blood.

"8 months?"

"8 months!" I reiterated slightly annoyed.

"Chill, Dracula!" She chuckled out.

"Well damn do you speak English or don't you?"

"Sorry, sorry. I was just surprised that you've lasted that long without Buffy driving a wooden stake through your bitter ass heart. I mean like really I-" I cut her off not wishing to be insulted anymore.

"As much as I'd love to hear what other garbage you were going to let fly out of your mouth, I've got something to do real quick." I said before I sped off to find a deer in the distance. He was in my grasp almost immediately as I came up on him. His panting was fervent as his back hooves struggled against the crisp leaves underneath us. He was scared.

I took a sip from its neck for a brief moment before releasing him quickly, not wanting to sustain the emotional warfare he must be going through.

Though the snack was brief, I was sated and ran back over to Lauren.

"Anyways," I wiped the blood off the corner of my lips with the back of my hand "what are you doing out here?"

"Is that blood? Oh gross did you just-"

"Yes, now answer the question!"

"I was just out for a run. Feels nice running in the cool night air with my tail out. It's so quiet." She smiled to herself. "Well usually."

"Hmmmmm okay. We're definitely gonna need to revisit this convo because I'm still in shock but I've got to get back to Normani so I'll see you at school tomorrow I guess"

"Tell Normani's fine ass I said hey" she added with a face eating grin.

My eyes widened and I shot her a glare. "Um how bout hell no, Whoregui?"

"Fuck you" She looked unimpressed. I know it wasn't nice but I'm protective of my best friend. And if you think I get around, you clearly haven't met Lauren. I mean I had a few hookups here and there but hookup culture is Lauren's profession at our school.

"What can I say, you have a reputation"

"Oh and you don't? Y/n, you might as well turn your bedroom into an In-N-Out."

"Well then if that's the case, tell your ex Shawn that his order is ready." I smirked knowing that this would get a reaction from the pale girl. And boy was I right, she went full on wolf and started chasing after me. She kept up with me for a while until I looked over my shoulder and sent her a sly wink before I sped off in the moonlight back to Normani's house. Wait till she hears this.

**************
anotha update y'all. Writing a book is fun. And the Shawn I referred to is indeed Shawn Mendes. That's my baby daddy right there and I'll be having some fun with writing him into this story 👀 so y'all will see how that plays out. I hope you guys enjoyed it!