xii. devil's advocate

Your POV

"Why are we at a pond?"

"This hiking trail is nice. Why not?"

"Weirdo." I roll my eyes.

"So this witch. Does she come from a renown lineage?"

Oh? So that's what she wants to talk to me about. Though I don't understand why she had to drag me on to this alleged hike.

"Honestly I don't know. I'm not so educated on the witch stuff I just know her mom and grandma are into some legit shit. Think her whole family is a coven or something. And that's all I'm saying."

"Y/n why can't you just tell me?" She grunts and stops, turning to face me.

"Because! It's not my business to be spreading. Would you like me to tell her what you are?"

"Well a really good witch can spot someone like me from a mile away. Unless they're young and new to the craft maybe."

I shrug. "Well who knows."

Her eyes squint as she scans the scenery, and then she looks back at me in an instant. "Wait that's it- She doesn't know what I am. You just said it yourself." Shit.

"So if she doesn't know..that means she's new which means she's young. Witches typically go into training and develop their God given intuition around 14- maybe even 16 if they're late bloomers. Regardless, she's probably our age, high school witches are always novice-"

"Hey- Cut that shit out!"

"Spotting other supernatural beings takes years of practice, studying, experience and protection spell work. Definitely our age. Probably even goes to our school-"

"Camila! I'm not telling you so knock it off."

She just grins at me with a closed mouth and nods, resuming our hike. Fuck. My reaction told her everything. How'd she get so conniving and analytical?

"Fine. Well, let's start then."

"Start what?"

"The little lesson I'm about to give you obviously?"

"Oh right...Why are we doing this out here?"

"I can't discuss the things i'm about to tell you in an open ass setting where anyone can hear so I thought why not take a little hike. It's beautiful out here after all." It's true. There was greenery and the ocean not too far off in sight, it was very beautiful.

"Yeah it is."

"Let's start. Remind me of what you know so far."

"Tons. My eyes change color according to emotion, and also ability activation. I'm super strong, fast, and have great hearing. There's the compulsion thing. Uhhhh natural born vampires are more powerful than turned ones. Yeah that's about it. Oh wait and I also know that you have to be invited into a human's household. The only thing I don't seem to understand is how your blood helped that lamb that we fed off of."

"Well you do know a good amount of abilities but you're missing some. Age manipulation and healing. Our blood can heal the deadliest of wounds, that's why that lamb was able to get up and walk away. Also knowledge on your abilities isn't all that's to it."

"Hold on- age manipulation? Are you saying I could turn 12 years old right now?" She chuckles at my reaction and nods.

"Yes and no. You can manipulate your appearance to look as if your 12 but it's not like you're traveling back in time to before you were what you are now and it won't change your birth year. Not even vampires are that cool and powerful. But essentially, age manipulation gives the option on looking youthful for eternity or switching it up and going for a more mature look sometimes. Since you're a turned vampire, your body automatically stays on the appearance you have at the age you were turned. It takes a lot of practice and skill especially if you're trying to look older. That's why it's easier for born vampires to master this craft because we learn to age ourselves gradually, if we so please, since the age of about 13. That's the age our bodies stop aging, so we do it ourselves. It can be dangerously deceiving if used by the wrong person."