Close Call

Luna- 6

It was a warm spring Saturday afternoon, Will had been called in early to work. Jay was at work, he had left Luna with a babysitter. He rarely used a babysitter because either him or his brother was almost always with his daughter. He had been called due to short staff. Jay was finishing up some last minute paperwork then he'd pick up his niece.

As Will was about to call to check on his daughter, Maggie called everyone in the ED.

"Alright people listen up!" Maggie called everyone. "There has been a mass shooting in Harold Washington Park, there are a lot of victims rolling in soon let's go. Let's get to work"

Will didn't hear Maggie after she said the name of the park, that's where Holly, Will's babysitter was with Luna. He felt his heart stop, his blood went cold. He couldn't breathe. It was as if all the air got sucked from his lungs. Connor had seen him.

"Will, hey, what is it?" Connor asked concerned.

"Luna....she..she was at that park with her sitter, Holly. I...I gotta go find her" Will said, breathing heavily.

The trauma surgeon took him to a room. "Will, I need you to take some deep breaths for me alright. I'm sure your brother has been notified about the shooting. He will find Luna, you gotta stay here and help the people who are injured. She'd want you to help these people coming in. Take a few deep breaths and relax"

"She's...she's wanted to go to the park all day since she woke up. I promised she could go. What if...what if.." He couldn't finish.

"Don't think that way alright. She's a Halstead, she's strong and very stubborn. Luna will be just fine"

The older Halstead nodded just then Jay had run in looking for his brother, Will went out the room and rushed to his brother. He grabbed a hold of him for dear life, his eyes full of fear and worry. He didn't care about anything around him or how people looked at him. He wanted his daughter back safely. But most importantly, alive.

"Jay please, please. You've gotta find Holly and Luna. They were at that park today" Will practically pleaded with his brother.

"I will find her, I give you my word. Just relax. I'll call you with any updates" Jay had told his brother.

"Jay I can't lose her, I just can't"

"Hey relax, I'll find her"

"Thank you"

"Anything for my big brother"

Jay had gone to search for his niece. Patients had started rolling in from the shooting. Will had put his game face on and tried not to worry about his daughter. He trusted his brother to find her.

Will's first patient was a young adult who had a gunshot to the shoulder and had a broken arm. He was focused on work trying not to think about Luna. He shook the thoughts from his head. Luna and Holly were fine. Weren't they? Holly may not have taken her, he thought. Maybe she took the little girl someplace else.

"Alright Josh, looks like you're gonna need surgery for your shoulder and once you're done they'll fix your arm and cast it" Will told his patient.

"Thanks doc" He replied.

Will had left the room and had his patient transferred to the OR. He checked his phone to see no new calls or messages from his brother. It had only made his fear and anxiety grow more. Luna's alive. Holly is alive. He kept telling himself that.

Ethan had seen his friend upset and went to check on him. "Will you alright?"

"Luna was at the park with her sitter. Jay's trying to find them"