chapter 11

I hate being wrong, no matter the situation. Wether it be a question on a test, or trusting the wrong person. Being wrong can make me feel a number of things, disappointed, sad, angry even. I needed to make sure I wasn't wrong about this.

Vivian is amazing, and being wrong could mean losing her. 

I needed to think about this, and I can't be vague about it. What interactions with her make me feel this way? I came back to work with the goal of keeping track of everything Vivian does that makes me feel like this. 

I came in before her on my first day back, I was honestly nervous to see her. I told myself that it was because of what happened the last time I was clocked in, but I knew that wasn't true. I was getting come paper coffee cups from under the counter when I heard the door bell ring. 

"Hey!" I yelled from behind the counter.

"Ethan?" she asked. "I thought you were going to stay out a few more days?"

"What made you think that?" I stood up and started to put the cups in their little holder by the coffee machines.

"I-" she hesitated. I knew she wanted me stay home another week, but I already talked to our manager about coming back, we decided it would be better for me to come back today. I just never told Vivian about it. "I don't know."

She put her things in the back and set up the music. I didn't really have a taste in music before I met Vivian. She would call me 'an average music consumer' whenever I would set up the music. She would make me playlists with stupid tiles like 'listen or ur lame' or 'not imagine dragons music' She thought it was funny, I thought it was weird. Now I love listening to new playlists she makes me. It makes me happy knowing she took time out of her day to find me something to enjoy, and I enjoy it a lot. 

We talked on and off a bit. I expected her to be more chatty, being its my first day back at work, but no. 

"Are you feeling ok?" I asked her after another short conversation about mundane things.

She nodded and gave a forced smile, "I'm fine." 

I didn't want to push it, but I knew she was lying.