Chapter 68

"Here Teddy, good boy." I cooed, attaching him to the lead. I was shaky with excitement as I took Teddy inside for the first time. Since all the other boys were at school, only Nick could really share the moment with me, but I didn't mind. It was probably easier this way anyway.

I took Teddy around the house, talking to him as if he could actually respond. It was therapeutic. Next, I showed him to his bed and took turns outside with all the toys Nana had bought for him to use. He loved to fetch this one rope and had already taken a strange liking to a soft toy rabbit. I thought it was cute.

"Want to come for a walk?" Nick asked, poking his head around the door. Mum and Dad had already told me about how important it was for me to make sure Teddy got out every day. When I go to school, it'll be a bit different because he'll be walking around the school all day and probably get really tired, but until then, I needed to designate time to go out walking with him. I also wasn't allowed to go on my own.

"Yes please!" I grinned. "Let's go for a walk Teddy!" He jumped up and down, racing inside to his leash. I loved him already.

I followed Nick out the door but was promptly turned back to get a hat. Something about the UV being high and not wanting me to get sunburnt. I'd never been sunburnt before, so I hardly felt there was something to worry about, however I was desperate to stay with Teddy, so I didn't argue.

"That's Sean's house." Nick pointed out as we were walking. I realised I'd actually never been on a walk around the area and barely knew where I was. It concerned me a lot, coming from being mostly independent and self-sufficient (not by my own doings of course) that I couldn't navigate my way to my house from anywhere, or vice versa. Hopefully these walks with Teddy would improve my knowledge of the area. "Mum and Dad come home tomorrow."

"That went quick."

"And then you start school on Monday." Nick reminded me. The same questions once again started circling around my brain, the same ones that appear every time me starting school is mentioned. Teddy seemed to walk closer upon my silence. "Do you want to go with Ryan to meet mum and Dad at the airport?" Nick changed the topic. He was good at social cues.

"Can I?"

"I'm sure he'll let you." He smiled sympathetically.

Soon enough, we were back home. I spent the rest of my afternoon reading and watching a bit of TV. Nick was cooking nearly all afternoon and it smelt amazing. I finally couldn't take it anymore and got up to see what he was making.

"Ash, get out of the kitchen." He glared. He'd already told me to leave earlier, and that time I listened.

"I'm hungry."

"There's an apple there."

"I don't like apples." I groaned. It was one of the few foods I could regularly get my hands on at my old house and now, it brought back too many memories. I wrapped my arms around Nick's waist in attempt to convince him to give me something better. "Can I have chocolate?"

"No."

"Nick." I grumbled, slumping onto the floor.

"Ashlyn." He mimicked, in the same stretched out tone. If he wasn't going to help me, I figured I would have to find something myself. I stood up and confidently walked past him into the pantry. He smirked with amusement but didn't follow me in. Very quickly I was able to locate the purple packaging that held the most delicious food on the planet. The only issue was, I couldn't reach. Thinking on my feet, I climbed up onto the cabinet, being careful not to fall. Just as I reached for the chocolate, two huge hands slinked around my waist and set me on the ground.

"Hi Nicholas." I grinned sheepishly.

"Ashlyn Hughes." He stared at me seriously. "Two rules; 1) You're not allowed to climb on any cabinets or benches ever. 2) No means no. Always."

"Sorry." I looked down. I was just trying to have fun and did not like being told off. That was my first time really getting in trouble here. Nick wasn't joking around.

"Are you actually hungry or do you just feel like eating sugar because you're bored?"

"I don't know." I sighed, falling into his arms. He chuckled and hugged me tight, unlike the usual affection I got from him, but our moment was ruined with the unlocking of the front door. One by one, each boy appeared, sweaty and gross from their sports training.

"Ash come hug me." Ryan smirked as he set all his stuff down.

"No thank you." I shook my head. He lunged for me and I spun around quick aiming to get away, but behind me was a wall of the other boys, also smirking as the watching Ryan grab me. "EWW!" I squealed. He smelt awful.

"Is that Teddy?!" River exclaimed.

"Teddy!" I copied River's tone and rushed to my puppy. "Teddy that's River, Jonah, Austin and Ryan." I pointed. All the boys smiled at me, keeping their distance once again.

"What's for dinner?" Jonah asked. "It smells so good."

"Baked Ratatouille." Nick responded.

"Baked rats!?" I squealed. They all started laughing at me.

"You've never eaten rats before Ash? They're very nutritious you know." River smirked, holding back more laughter.

"I'm not eating it." I didn't care how good our house smelt from the food; I was not eating rats.

"Don't worry baby, he's just joking." Ryan chuckled, coming closer again. I darted into my bedroom, Teddy close behind, and hung out there until dinner was ready. Turns out that it was mostly a heap of vegetables that tasted surprisingly good together. I liked it more than I expected to, and Nick even told me I did a good job for eating all of it.  

Finally, I have my new laptop and can write again! It took me a bit to get started and i tried my best to pick up where i left off, so sorry if this is a bit gappy! There are very few chapters left of this story but i do need to do a little bit of editing so that the next few chapters work out as i have planned. 

I also go back to school in a week which means, once again, my updates will probably slow down, but i will try to keep up. 

For anyone waiting on an update for my favourite idiots - I will write the rest of this story and then finish my favourite idiots. It's all planned out but i'm just trying to find the time and motivation to write!! 

xx