Chapter 30

Nick's POV

When my Dad married Laura, they made a deal. They made a deal that we were a family, who trusted and cared for each other until the end of eternity. They haven't kept up with their side of the deal. I let them in. I spoke about my own issues. The grief that came along with my own mothers' death. Her battle with cancer. They didn't tell me anything. They didn't tell me that there was another. I have a little sister. I would have done something if I knew. I could have helped.

Ashlyn POV

After dinner, we all went into the lounge room. I stayed close to Ryan or Laura at all times and stayed quiet most of the time too. I liked to just observe the conversations. More words were spoken here than I would have spoken the entire time I was back there.

"What's favourite class at school Ash?" Chris asked me. The room went silent and I had never felt so awkward.

"English I think." I responded quietly. It was the only one I worked hard at as well as the only one I would catch up on when I missed days. Sometimes it was too hard to get to school.

"Nope, don't agree." River shook his head, making a disgusted face.

"I'd have to disagree on that one too." Ryan sighed, still smiling.

"Oh." I said quietly, feeling as if I'd said the wrong thing.

"It's not bad honey, everyone has their own opinions." Laura smiled comfortingly. It only took a second for the regular chatter to resurface and continue. I was more at peace when I could listen and not think too much.

"Should we watch a movie?" Chris suggested.

"Yes!" River shouted. I had found he was the most outspoken of them all. He was always quickest to answer any question and the most enthusiastic.

"What's on the list?" Jonah asked, nodding towards a piece of paper sitting underneath the TV.

"Why don't we just watch a favourite today. You all have school tomorrow and that way we can stop at any time."

"You're coming to school tomorrow?" Austin said quickly, almost snapping his neck trying to face me.

"No." I responded quietly. "I don't think so."

"Ashlyn will start next term." Laura told him, smiling discreetly at his interest in me.

The conversation buzzed as they tried to decide which movie we were going to watch. Laura was so sick of it that she just decided to choose herself. I didn't hear her say the name, but all I could see was a brown bear. The bear looked friendly and cuddly so I didn't feel anxious about what the movie could be about.

The screen of the TV morphed into blue triangles and played some strange music, giving credits to the studios and producer companies.

Darkest Peru. A vast, unexplored wilderness.

The screen continued to play the movie, starting off in black and white. I was too engrossed in the performance in front of me to worry that Ryan had put his arm over my shoulders and pulled me closer into his side. He was comforting.

Finally the screen changing into colour.

Marmalade!

Sure enough, a brown bear appeared, complete with a bright red hat. He looked adorable and I couldn't help but feel as if I wanted him to be my friend. He ran along the bridge with his arms full of oranges. They looked juicy and delicious.

I was so intrigued with Paddington and his journey with the Brown family, that I didn't even notice Austin and Jonah had fallen asleep on the couch opposite mine. I looked up at Ryan, checking to see, and he smiled down at me, although, with very tired eyes.

"I think we might pause there." Laura said, just as the black car appeared. We had only been watching for 45 minutes, but I felt wide awake, to interested to stop now. I tried to hide any disappointment that was on my face as everyone stirred to go upstairs and to bed. Within a few seconds everyone had stood up and was walking towards the stairs.

"Night everyone. Sleep well." Chris said. He received an echo of mumbled goodnight's as the boys headed upstairs.

"I'll come help you Ash." Laura said to me.

"I've got it." Ryan told her.

"Okay then." She paused, just looking at us. She looked happy. "I'll get your medication."

Laura went to the kitchen whilst Ryan and I headed over to my room. He turned on the lights and went straight for the wardrobe.

"The pyjamas are here." I said, walking over to grab a pair from the back shelf.

"They're cute." He smiled, looking at the little clouds. I smiled in return, my disappointment about Paddington fizzling into nothing. I told him i was just going to get changed, so I quickly went into the bathroom and changed out of my clothes and into the soft pyjamas. I had never felt so rich and spoiled, being able to comfortably change clothing. I gently dropped my clothes into the laundry basket, like Laura had instructed, and went back out to Ryan, who was sitting peacefully on my bed.

"I will just go and get some water." I said when he pulled the bed sheets back, ready for me to get in.

"I can do it." He told me, standing up.

"No, I can, it's okay." I didn't want to feel lazy here.

"Don't be silly." He smiled. "Hop in and I'll bring you the water." Not having the energy to protest, I got into bed and slipped under the covers. They were warm and smelt so nice.

Ryan went to get me water and was back within thirty seconds.

"Mum is coming in a second with your medication." He told me, frowning. "She also said you can choose a water bottle at the sports store tomorrow since she forgot to buy you one already. This one is mine by the way."

"Thankyou." I smiled.

"You're welcome." He hugged me gently and kissed my forehead. It felt foreign but natural at the same time. "Sleep well."

"You too." I told him, watching as he left and in came Laura.

She gave me my medication, helping me crush the tablets and passing me water when they tasted horrible.

"All done now. Good girl." She smiled. Everyone in this family was always so happy. "I'm so glad you're here." She told me, hugging me tight. "Sweet dreams." She kissed my forehead, in the same way as Ryan and left, pulling the door half-way shut and turning the lights off. I laid down and quickly drifted into a deep sleep.