Chapter 31

I checked my phone for the time when I woke up and it was only 6:40. Clearly my body has had enough sleeping, since that's all I've done for the past month in hospital. I really wanted to get up and keep watching Paddington, but I decided to start one of the new books Laura had bought me since I hadn't found the time, and I also didn't know how to turn on the TV to actually watch Paddington. I figured it was too early for anyone to be up anyway.

The Princess Diaries, Meg Cabot

Sometimes it seems like all I ever do is lie. My mum thinks I'm repressing my feelings about this.

I continued reading about the life of Mia, although I already had a pretty good idea of the storyline since I'd watched the movie. I never thought I'd be able to say I watched the movie before I read the book. Strange.

My brain absorbed every word and event like I was living it myself. That's what I loved about reading. It was like a whole new dimension.

I was more than halfway through the book before I heard any noise in the kitchen. I figured it was just Chris getting up for work, so I continued with my reading, peacefully sitting in my bed.

Oh, well, I thought. Maybe tomorrow. For the self-actualization thing, I mean. For now, I guess ill settle for what I've got. Because its actually a lot, now that I think about it.

I held the book to my chest and smile to myself. I checked the time, reading 8:30, and decided to get up. I didn't get dressed or have a shower, but I went to the bathroom, then out to the kitchen. I could hear someone there, although I didn't know who.

I walked in and saw Nick getting himself cereal. He was in grey tracksuit pants and what looked like an old football jersey.

"Morning." He said blandly, noticing me.

"Morning." I responded.

"Have you eaten anything?" He asked me. I shook my head. "Toast?"

"Yes please." I answered. I knew what it was since Laura had given it to me before.

"What would you like on it?"

"On it?" I asked, confused. I don't recall anything being on it last time.

"You don't just eat the bread. You put something on top of it. Makes it taste better." He explained, only slightly fazed. I felt awkward but I also wanted to get along with him. He was my stepbrother after all, and I didn't want to be leaving any time soon.

"Like what?"

"Anything. Cream cheese, Nutella, butter, vegemite...anything."

"What's Nutella?"

"Like a chocolate spread." My eyes widened and I gave a small smile at the idea of chocolate. "Nutella it is." He returned the small smile and made me a piece of toast. I sat down at the kitchen island and waited patiently.

"Where is everyone?" I asked, one again, trying to be confident and assertive. I felt like I was getting better. Nick didn't seem as angry about me being here today, which helped my nerves, although my mind kept replaying his first words.

"You're 15, right?" Nick asked, bringing my attention away from Ryan and Austin. I looked to Chris for confirmation, then nodded.

"They're twins. That means they're the same age." River said, rolling his eyes and winking at me.

"Well do you speak?" Nick said, looking me up and down.

"Dad is at work; Mum is running, and the rest are at school." Ryan mustn't have won the argument with Laura about him not going to school. "And yes, Mum made Ryan go."

That was weird.

"Here you go." Nick slid the plate of toast towards me. The Nutella had melted all through the toast and stuck to every part of my mouth when I bit into it. "How is it?"

"Re-goo." I replied, my mouth full. He smiled properly. He grabbed a seat next to me and continued to eat his huge bowl of cereal whilst scrolling on his phone. He seemed to be watching lots of short videos.

"What's that?" I asked.

"Tik tok."

"What's Tik Tok?"

"Social media. People just make videos and post them and then we can watch them. See." He showed me how it worked, although in my opinion, scrolling through other people's videos seemed a bit pointless. I stayed with that opinion until I saw a video of these ducks, following their owner wherever they went. I kept giggling.

"Why's that so funny?" Nick asked me, smiling but looking slightly confused.

"Look at their tiny legs! And they're so fluffy and yellow!" I giggled even more. Nick swiped up so the next video kept playing and I frowned. "Where'd it go?"

"It's still there." He showed me, swiping back down. I proceeded to keep laughing as I watched the tiny ducks waddle back and forth on their little pink legs.

"I've never seen someone so interested in ducks." He smiled, chuckling to himself. This was the Nick I had expected. This was what I'd hoped he'd be like. What all of them would be like.

I watched over his shoulder as he kept scrolling until his phone starting ringing. The name said 'Mum', so I knew it was Laura he was speaking to. They had a quick conversation, which I couldn't hear because he had the phone, before they hung up.

"Mum's stopped at a café and she wants me to go get her. Do you want to come?"

"Yes please." I nodded.

"Go get dressed and meet me back here. Don't be slow."

I hurried off to my room, changing into a pair of leggings Laura had bought me and the Champion hoodie. The leggings were black but had small areas around the sides that had white lines.

I went back out and followed Nick into another part of the house that wasn't connected. He pressed a button on this remote and majority of the wall started moving, giving me a fright.

"Where are we?" I asked.

"The garage."

"Oh."

I followed him into a tinted black/blue car, easily being able to get in. This wasn't as high as Laura or Chris's cars.