Chapter 4

"I have an important question to ask you Ashlyn." She addressed me. I was still getting used to people calling me by my name this often. "If you're willing to take part in this, it would be really helpful for both you and I." Sarah smiled. It confused me how anything I did could help both of us at once, but if it meant more time here before I had to go back, I knew I wouldn't hesitate one bit. "Would you consider a DNA test?"

"A what?" I asked, hoping it wasn't like a maths test. I had never heard of a DNA test before.

"It's where the hospital will take a saliva or blood sample and test it to see who your relatives are. They look at genetics. This way we might be able to find some other family who you possibly could live with once you're healthy."

"Live with?"

"Yes, you can't stay here forever." She gave a little laugh.

"You mean I'm not going back?" I asked. I knew the lady earlier had told me similar, but I didn't trust her. It was only now since two people had told me the same thing that I was actually considering it real. Sarah gave me a sympathetic smile.

"No, Ashlyn, you're not. Not now or ever."

"But..." I stuttered.

"What?" She made a face. I could tell she was confused as to why I wasn't super relieved.

"My library book." I whispered.

"Did you want me to go back and get it?" I was thankful she heard me. I would have felt silly repeating myself, and I already felt awful for thinking about it.

"Are you allowed to?" I asked, giving a small, hopeful smile.

"Of course, I am a police officer." She winked. "Now, back to the DNA test?"

"Does it hurt?" I asked, my face falling back to blankness. I wasn't sure what to think yet.

"No, not at all. I promise you won't feel any pain. It will only take a few seconds and then you won't have to think about it for a few days."

"Okay." I nodded, agreeing. I didn't know what would happen if I said no, so it was just easier to say yes. Plus, Sarah seemed really keen, and for some reason I felt pressure to not let her down. She was the first person I'd ever met who seemed to have a real interest in me. Of course, I had spoken to all of the guidance counsellors my high school had hired, but they were just doing their job, which I guess Sarah was too, but she felt different to them. I was beginning to trust her, even if it was just a little bit.

"Great." She smiled kindly. "Can I get some details off you? You're old enough to give me the majority of the information I need."

I nodded and she reeled off a list of questions.

I gave her the name I knew, Ashlyn Harrison, since I didn't know my middle name, or if I even had one, but I couldn't give her my birthday. Not because I didn't want to, but because I didn't actually know.

"I don't know." I said.

"Okay." She nodded, not pressing why. I had a feeling that this wasn't the first time she'd heard someone say this. "Do you know how old you are?"

"About 15. I just started in tenth grade." I told her. I only knew because when I was eight, they had a huge fight, which of course I was brought into.

"It's just that stupid girl of yours!" She yelled.

"It's not my fault that eight-year-olds are stupid!" He responded, just as loud.

"It isn't her age; she just got your dumb genes!"

I didn't remember any more of that day since I was already hyperventilating by that point. Thankfully my anxiety attacks became less frequent as I got older, since I learnt to control my fear. Since then, I had counted every time school finished as another year. It was the only way I knew. I might not have even been in the right year level at school, but right now, that didn't matter.

"We'll know soon enough." She smiled. "The results of your DNA should come back four or five days after you take the test in a few minutes."

"We're doing it now?" I asked, slightly surprised.

"Yep, better to get it done as quick as possible. Then we'll know if you have any other family, which I'm hoping you do. You don't know of any other family, do you? No pictures or anything?"

"No." I shook my head. I had nothing. "My step-mum burnt anything she found about me before my father married her. All the photos and my birth certificate."

"Oh." Sarah seemed a bit lost for words, but thankfully the doctor came in for the DNA test. He took a small cotton swab and took some spit out of my mouth, before sealing it in a bag.

"All done." He said, before leaving the room. Sarah smiled.

"That was it?" I gaped. That was the easiest test I'd ever taken.

"Yep." She laughed. "I have to get going, so that I can go get your book from the house before I'm done for the day."

"Thankyou." I said, honestly grateful.

"You're welcome Ashlyn." She replied with a genuine smile. "Do you want me to bring the book to you or return it to the library?"

"Could you bring it here?"

"Of course. Tomorrow." She smiled, then left.

I felt kind of lonely without her, but I was so tired that I was able to just fall back asleep for a while. When I woke up an hour later, I remembered I had saved the roll from my lunch, so I enjoyed that whilst watching some more of the pink pig.