Chapter 14

After five days of intensive therapy twice a day, I was finally able to properly walk on my own, without being afraid of falling. If I wasn't walking on the treadmill or cycling in the gym with Ben, I was in the hospital room with Morgan. She was really easy to hang out with because she loved to talk, and I was happy to listen. The good thing was that she actually was a good listener too, so when I did chime in with the occasional response, she gave me her full attention and listened intently. On the second day, during our lunch break, she showed me how to use Snapchat. She explained how all the different filters worked, how to 'explore', to try and find other ones, how to add people, how to take and send photos and also how streaks worked. I didn't really understand the point of streaks, but she said that they were fun, so 3 days later, that little fire picture showed up next to her name. I also learnt that these little pictures were called emojis.

"Thanks for a great time at these sessions, Ashlyn. I've enjoyed them very much and I hope you continue working hard at home." Ben smiled as we finished up.

"What?" I questioned, making a face.

"How many days have you been in the same room as Morgan?" Laura asked.

"6, but..."

"And when did Nurse Charlotte say you could be discharged?"

"A week..." I gasped. Laura and Ben laughed.

"Just to let you know, we're not going on the plane tomorrow." Laura said.

"Why not?"

"Because of legal issues and your passport."

"My what?"

"Passport."

"What's that?"

"It's like ID to prove who you are. You had one but it wouldn't be valid now and the original was burnt at the funeral, so we have nothing. Also, there was a death certificate made for you, meaning technically you don't exist in the system, but that's nothing for you to worry about. Sarah and I have it all under control, but we are going to stay at a hotel for two nights before we leave. Is that alright?" Laura explained cautiously. She always chose her words carefully.

I took a few minutes to process everything but nodded anyway. I didn't know why I needed to be identified.

I went to sleep that night feeling anxious and worried, but excited at the same time. I wanted to meet my brothers. To know what it felt like to have a real family and have siblings. For people to really care about me. But I knew I wasn't going to match together with them. Seven of them had lived together nearly all their lives and they were a family, but I was an outsider, whether I was related to them or not. I wasn't going to fit in, and I knew it.

When I woke up, Laura was signing papers and packing my clothes into a bag.

When she saw I wake awake she said, "remind me to buy you a proper bag when we go shopping tomorrow." She then kissed my forehead and sat down next to me, grabbing my hand. "Ready?"

I wasn't ready, not at all, but I nodded anyway. I didn't have any other choice.

She helped me put some clothes on, suggesting wearing some lighter clothes, not a hoodie, because it wasn't cold outside. I chose some black pants that were tight and went majority of the way down my legs, and a t-shirt that said something I couldn't read.

"Looking nice, mon amour." Laura laughed.

"Huh?" I pouted.

"Your tops says, 'my love' in French."

"Oh." I giggled, looking down.

"What are you doing?" Asked Morgan, waking up.

"I'm getting ready."

"For what?"

"I'm leaving today?"

"Really?!" She gasped, and I laughed.

"Yeah."

"I'm going to be so bored without you though." She groaned.

"Sorry." I replied sincerely, but she laughed. Apparently, she was joking.

"It's okay. Promise to keep your streaks with me though?"

"Of course." I pulled open the curtain between the two of us and smiled at my first ever friend.

"I don't want you to go. I'll be bored." Morgan pouted, holding her arms open for me to hug her. She held on tight until I let go, and after a final goodbye, Laura and I left the room.

I was still slow when I walked, so she carried my bags and was patient as I tried my best to walk at a consistent speed.

I was going to miss Morgan and Nurse Charlotte and the cafeteria. I was going to miss those chocolate cookies and the meals I was provided. I couldn't forget about Ben either. I wouldn't be able to walk properly if it wasn't for him.

When we walked out of the hospital, Laura directed me to a car park nearby, and a man in a suit got out.

"Here, I can take those for you." The suit man said. Laura handed the bags over instantly and he placed them into the boot. I had been in a car a total of three times. I was too little to remember the reason for the first time, and was half un-conscious the second time, however, the third time was clear.

It was about two or three years ago and they had a heap of friends over to our house. I was desperate for water and thought if I could sneak upstairs without any of them noticing, maybe I would get by safely. Everything in my memory went hazy after walking upstairs, but I remember a lot of yelling. Next thing, the police were called by a surrounding neighbour because there was so much noise coming from the property. When everyone heard the sirens, they rushed me into a car along with her and one of their friends and left out of the side lane. We didn't go back for what felt like hours.

"Ashlyn? Are you okay?" Laura put her arm around me with a concerned expression.

"Huh?" I looked up at her, slightly dazed from my thoughts.

"This is our driver. We're staying at a hotel close to the airport and it's about an hour away." She explained.

"Okay." I nodded, not moving.

"Don't worry, this is Chris's driver." She whispered, opening the door for me. I climbed inside. The seats were beige leather and extremely clean. It was the fanciest car I had ever seen, let alone been inside.

Laura shut my door and got in the other side, before the driver began our journey, and the hospital was left behind us.

"Why does Chris have a driver all the way here? You don't live anywhere near here." I asked, curious as to why my stepfather had a driver roughly 6,000 kilometres away from where he lived.

"He's done a lot of conferences here for work."

"What's his job?"

"He's an optometrist but does lectures for smaller businesses in the same industry and also for students studying."

"That's cool." I responded. I didn't have a clue what an optometrist was. "What do you do?"

"As in for work?" Laura clarified. I nodded. "I used to be a teacher, but now I'm a full-time mum. I do some volunteer work around. It's hard to chauffer five boys and now a very special girl around." She smiled, grabbing my hand. I returned the smile and watched the trees flash by as we drove along to the hotel.

-

-

How is everyone going in quarantine? I personally don't enjoy it but thankfully I'm still allowed outside. I'm extremely sorry for not updating in nearly a month! I didn't realise i haven't updated in so long!  xx