Chapter 59

The next day, mum and I took the handlers briefing. Turns out, I need to do one on one training daily and tomorrow I would be able to meet my dog. I felt more excitement than I'd ever felt before.

The company we were getting the dog from is called Little Angels. I was getting what's called a Psychiatric service dog, which was trained in very specific tasks. The skills that will be most useful for me are deep pressure therapy, where my dog would sit across my lap to physically and then mentally relieve stress. He was also trained for a medical alert, to notice the signs of when I was about to have a panic/anxiety attack or flashback. The sign for that is my dog pawing at my leg. I need to then refocus on him and work through my coping mechanisms before the actual event happens. He is also trained for a signal alert, which I can use to help myself leave a classroom or busy room with an excuse for the dog.

We found out more information about my dog, like that I couldn't choose the name, since he'd been trained to respond to his name already, and he has to wear his vest when he's working, so people know to not touch him. I also knew that I was really, really lucky to be able to get my dog so quickly. Some people have to wait years before they can receive help from a psychiatric service dog, but with the funds, my application and the correct timing, we were able to get my dog much faster.

At the very end of the session, that lady who was running it handed me a folder. Inside, it had all the information about my puppy. He was turning one the day before my birthday which I loved, and his name was Teddy.

"Mum!" I exclaimed, getting her attention as we walked to the car.

"What, honey?"

"He's called Teddy!"

"Aw, that's a cute name."

"But it's like in Little Women!"

"I was going to take you to see that!" She gasped. "I'm so sorry, I'd promised you and I forgot!"

"No, it's okay." I smiled. I'd forgotten too.

"Here's an idea, why don't you and Nana watch it together whilst I'm away? It'd be a good bonding activity for you two."

"That sounds fun." I would have Nana all to myself!

"So, who's Teddy again?"

"Jo calls Laurie Teddy sometimes."

"I don't really remember. Can you explain the story to me again?" I couldn't tell if she was just getting me to keep talking, or if she genuinely had forgotten, but I reeled off the story to her anyway. Jo was my favourite character and I wished with all my power that one day I would be as confident and powerful as her. I'm not a good writer but I could be good at something else.

"Ash!" Austin yelled out to me. I ran upstairs to find him. "My room."

"Yeah?" I asked, flopping onto his bed.

"I just made that." He grabbed my arms and dragged me off, so I just sat there on the floor instead.

"Why am I here?"

"I'm going skateboarding with Sean. Want to come?"

"Yeah!" I exclaimed excitedly. "Is Jonah coming?"

"Nah, he's ditched us for Scarlett."

"How are we getting there?"

"That's your job." He smirked.

"What?"

"Someone'll drive you. You go ask and get someone to drive us."

"Okay." I shrugged. Nick first. "Nick?" I yelled, leaving Austin's room. That's what people did around here; just yelled each other's names until they responded.

"I'm busy."

"I need you!"

"What?" He huffed, opening his door. I didn't actually expect that to work.

"Can you drive me to the skate park?"

"No, I'm studying."

"Pretty please." I begged.

"Go ask someone else. I'll pick you up, but I can't drive you now." He closed the door, leaving me to go find someone else.

"Ryan?" I asked, knocking on his door.

"Come in Ash." I walked in and found him laying on his bed, shirtless.

"Could have warned me you weren't wearing any clothes." I made a face. He just rolled his eyes. "Can you pretty please drive me to the skate park?"

"Hmm, I'm kind of busy."

"No you're not! You should drive me to make up for being mean to me last night."

"Ashlyn Hughes, are you seriously trying to blackmail me right now?" He gasped mockingly.

"If I knew what that was then maybe." I spat back.

"Say please." He smirked.

"Please."

"C'mon baby be a little bit more convincing."

"Please Ryan." I collapsed to the floor dramatically.

"Sure." Thankfully, I didn't even need to ask River. Ryan swooped me up off the floor, carrying me out into the hall.

"Meet me in the car. 5 minutes."

"Okay. Austin! Ryan's driving!" I yelled, jumping down from Ryan's hold.

I raced downstairs to put on my shoes and grab my phone and a jacket, just in case it got cold. I was excited so I ran down the hall, almost slamming into Dad, who came out of his office.

"Slow down, princess. Just walk inside." He told me, laughing but also being serious. I didn't know how he did both.

"Sorry." I replied, sheepishly.

"Where are you off to?"

"Skate park with Austin!"

"Have fun. Be safe." He chuckled at my excitement, kissed my forehead and let me go. Austin was already in the car with Ryan.

"Sorry, bumped into Dad." I apologised, and then we left.

"Hey Ash." Sean waved us over. He was already here, practicing and talking to some other boys. Austin waved at them and they gave me a strange look but didn't approach us.

"You're going to be able to skate in a straight line without falling over this time. I just know it." Austin grinned.

We went around to the back of the skatepark and had a few tries on the flat ground. I fell off a few times, the skateboard flying out underneath my feet. Thankfully, Austin or Sean caught me right in time. Although we were the same age, they were much taller and stronger than me, which made it easy for them to grab me before I went slamming into the ground.

"Why don't you just stand on the board for a bit. Get your feet right." Sean suggested. He held my hands and Austin instructed the very specific locations my feet needed to go so I would balance properly. Although it felt strange to begin with, after a while it began to feel more natural.

I got to practicing pushing off, and for the first time, I did it without falling off. Austin stood at the other end of my trail, reading to catch me at the end since I hadn't learnt how to stop yet, without tripping.

"I did it!" I exclaimed. They smiled and clapped, laughing at how proud of myself I was. I was making memories to last a lifetime.