Chapter 58

The next week whizzed by. After we bought my uniform, I paraded around to Dad and Nick, who were the only other one's home, showing them each outfit and the way my dress lifted when I twirled around. Mum and I also called the service dog company, who said yes, with the referral from Dr Brooks and my diagnosis, I was eligible for a service dog. Dr Brooks had told me in a session early on that I had anxiety and PTSD. She'd explained what they both were but thinking about it made me feel like I was different, so I tried to just block that out, which is why I don't remember what PTSD is, even though I have it.

Together, mum and I were going to do the handlers course and then, before she left for Vancouver, we would pick him up. All we knew was that the dog was a Labrador Retriever and was a boy. He was already fully trained but wasn't old and he could help me with my panic attacks, even at school.

The tour of the school was amazing. The principal, Ms Martzen, was so nice and made sure I knew I could go to her if I needed anything at all. She explained the school system to me, how the houses work, what each building was for, and who I'd have classes with. She said that the system didn't usually put twins in the same class, which was the same at most schools, so I probably wouldn't have any with Austin, but Jonah would be considered just another student so I might have classes with him.

I was able to meet Mr Thompson, who was my head of house, and he also assured me I could go to him with any questions. I personally thought that I would ask my brothers all my questions, but it was nice to know there was someone else too.

The school was even bigger than I remember it, but we were also on the other side to where I'd been the first time I came here.

Ms Martzen explained how I'd need to pick a sport, but since it was close to the end of the year, I wasn't pressured and could just choose in time for the season to start next year.

I was told I could pick up my laptop and specified textbooks from Mr Thompson on my first day, and he would give me my timetable. They'd also pair me up with someone on the day to take me to all my classes.

I left the school that day feeling confident about it. Although I didn't want to change my routine, I was finding myself getting really bored during the day when no one else was home. Nick and I had gotten closer, because he was the only one home, but he would leave whenever he wanted and still had to go to his university classes. Most of the time, my other brothers wouldn't come home until much later either, so I was starting to feel a bit lonely too. School would be able to change that, because I'd be at school with my brothers, and I'd have more to do, since there's always homework. I was worried about making friends, but worse case, I would just spend my time with my new dog and tag around with Austin and Jonah. Unlike River and Ryan, who were also in the same year level, Jonah and Austin were part of the same friendship group.

"How was the tour?" Ryan asked, sitting next to me on the couch that night.

"It was good."

"Think you know your way around?"

"No." I laughed. "I'm going to get lost."

"Oh well. Everyone does at one point."

"Correct. In Ryan's first week, he went into the pool, trying to find his history class. Now, unless he wanted to learn the history of H2O, I don't really think he was in the right place." River smirked.

"Thanks River, for reminding me of that wonderful event." Ryan glared back at him.

"Did you meet Ms Marbles?" River asked me.

"Who?" I asked, confused.

"He means Ms Marzden. She can be a bit...crazy, at times, so heaps of kids call her Ms Marbles."

"What does being crazy have to do with Marbles?"

"Don't you know the saying, 'She's lost her marbles'?"

"No." I shook my head.

"That saying is essentially just saying they've gone crazy."

"Ohhh, okay." I nodded. I kind of understood.

I told River and Ryan about everything I saw, including the music building, the pool, the gym and the cafeteria.

"If you ever need money for food, don't go to River or Austin." Ryan advised. "They spend all their money so quickly and I can guarantee they won't have any."

"I wouldn't buy anything anyway." I told him. I was sure, that if I was already taking lunch, I wouldn't be able to eat anything more anyway. I knew I needed to eat more but I got full so quickly. Nurse Charlotte had explained that people who eat very little for a long time get used to it, so then it's harder when you're trying to eat larger amounts. She said it's just important to try eat as much as you can at the time.

"Speaking of food, I need it." River stood up and I went to follow him. He liked sugar too so whatever he would get had to be good.

"Let go Ryan." I tried to move away from him.

"Oreos!" I heard River yell.

"Ryan! He has cookies!" I whined, trying to escape his hold.

"You were eating just before! It's almost dinner time."

"Then why is River eating?"

"Because he will still eat his dinner, even if he eats those."

"Stop being like Nick. He's grumpy. I don't like it when you act like him." I sighed, going limp in his arms and stopping my struggle to be free.

"Aw, don't be like that. I still want to hang out with you."

"But you're not being very nice." I grumbled.

"I'm sorry baby." He kissed my forehead.

"So I can get Oreos?" I batted my eyelids at him.

"Still no. Nick will be really grumpy if you don't eat your dinner."

"Why does he care so much?"

"Because that's what families do, Ash. They look out for each other. He just doesn't want you to get sick. None of us do."

My exams are over! I got an A for maths and A+ for Indonesian so now I'm just waiting on my English result!
Also, I have another story on my page called Rising Out of the Abyss Extras which has more info on these books and today I'm starting to post some character aesthetics. More will be added as the characters are introduced!!

VOTE
COMMENT
FOLLOW @sydnie6624 and help me get to 1000 followers yay!!