Chapter 36

I went and had a nice warm shower before tucking up into bed with the next Princess Diaries book, making sure I was wearing long-sleeve pyjamas to cover my wrist.

I enjoyed spending time with Austin and getting to know him better. I felt like I knew everyone except him, and I was most excited about him before I came.

I didn't read for very long before Laura appeared at the door.

"Hey honey, how are you feeling?"

"I'm good, thank you." I smiled.

"Thankyou for being so open to the boys." She said after a pause. "I didn't want to tell them, and Chris and I agreed it would be something you could share if you wanted them to know. I can only imagine how hard it would have been for you."

"It's okay. I would have been curious as well."

"And I'm sorry about Nick's question. He shouldn't have asked that."

"It's really okay." I told her. I didn't mind.

"He already knew, though. I don't know why he felt the need to ask again. I mean, I did collect you from the hospital and that would be the most obvious reason why." She sighed. I could tell she found this topic really hard to talk about. I could also see that she was trying to say all the right things.

"It's fine. I would have done the same." She gave me a sympathetic smile.

"Did Austin come and see you before?"

"Yeah, he did." I nodded. "We made cake-in-a-cup."

"Nice. How was it?"

"Yummy." I smiled.

"I'm glad he was being nice. Ready to redecorate tomorrow?"

"I'm excited. Is Ryan coming?"

"You can ask him if he wants to, I'm sure he will. I'll tell him to come in whilst I get your medication okay?"

"Thankyou."

Laura left and I read a bit more whilst I waited for Ryan.

"Aloha Ash-a-lay."

"Aloha?"

"It means hello. I don't know what language though." He laughed at my confused face.

"Do you want to come to the shops with me tomorrow?"

"Yeah!" He responded excitedly. "I have to ask mum though."

"She already said yes." I grinned.

"Hooray!" He gave a little dance. I found it hard to believe he was eighteen and could drive a car yet was getting excited over this. "Do you know what you're going to get?"

"Not really. I've had a look though."

"Can I show you something on your phone?"

"Sure." I said, handing it to him. He pressed a few buttons, then told me I had to wait whilst one of the apps downloaded. It didn't take very long thankfully. I was exhausted. "This is Pinterest. You can basically search and idea, and a heap of images will come up. You can save them so that you have a bit of an idea of some things you might like to buy tomorrow."

"Well, there isn't really anything I need, this room already has everything."

"Don't be silly! This room is one of the most boring bedrooms I have even been in, and trust me, I have been in a lot of bedrooms." I didn't know what that meant, but I watched and learnt as he showed me how to use the app. Although I was half falling asleep, I still thought the app was pretty cool.

"Ryan, stop keeping the poor girl awake." Chris appeared. "She's half asleep."

"Night Ash." Ryan said, noticing I really was half asleep. He kissed my forehead and exited.

"Laura got a phone call so she's busy. I said I'd bring you these." He helped me take my medication and tried not to giggle as I made faces at the taste.

"Yuck." I shook my head, reaching for the water. He couldn't help but laugh.

"Goodnight Ash. Sleep well. I love you." He kissed my forehead, and gently held my chin, then left, turning off the lights.

*AUSTIN POV*

I was talking to Sean when Mum knocked on my door and came in.

"Hey." She said, sitting at the edge of my bed. "Was Ash okay?" My brain started to fight itself, one side telling me to keep my promise to Ash and not tell her about her wrist, or to tell her.

"Mum, she was hurting herself." I blurted out.

"What do you mean?" She responded seriously.

"She was gripping her wrist so tightly and couldn't stop herself. Half her arm was purple and there were little bruises everywhere." I felt so bad. Ash had trusted me, and I broke the promise, even if I didn't actually ever promise her.

"I'll talk to Dad. We'll help her."

"You can't tell her I told you. She made me promise."

"Made you promise not to tell me?"

"Yeah. She said she didn't want to worry you."

"Okay." Mum hugged me and rubbed the back of my head. Mum hugs were the best hugs.

"I'm worried about her."

"We all are, Austin, we all are. She's so broken, and she's trying so hard. I want to do everything I can for that girl."

"Me too." Mum smiled at this.

"She'll be okay. I'll make sure of it. Now, put your phone away and sleep please. Don't think I forgot you have a test tomorrow."

"What test?"

"Austin!" She exclaimed, whacking my leg lightly.

"Just kidding. Maths, right?" I winked, knowing full well it wasn't a maths test.

"Go to sleep." She rolled her eyes before leaving. "And Austin?"

"Yeah?"

"Thank you for telling me. You did the right thing doing that. We can only help her if we're all honest, okay?"

"Yeah, mum." I nodded, lying down.

I thought about everything she'd been through, and how much I take for granted. I have never had to worry about being fed or getting to school. I've never been hit or hurt. I've always had everything I needed and wanted. Ash came from nothing, yet she should have always been here. This wasn't the way things were meant to be.

Comment your opinion and follow @sydnie6624

and vote!!