xvii • for luck

The event you walked into was enormous. You kept having to remind yourself that your eyes were for Peter's benefit, not for gazing around aimlessly at absolutely everything.

"Alright everybody, dinner's in an hour so go do whatever teenagers do and then just maybe make sure you're in the lobby at seven." Mr. Harrington was saying as the team walked through the hotel.

You, Ned, and Peter dragged your bags over to the elevator and went to go locate the boys' room. You found it on the third floor just next to the stairs.

As you helped Peter bring his suitcase in, Flash poked his head through the doorway. "Hey, I guess we're neighbors, ___."

You turned to see him smirking. "Funny, no, I'm down on the second level with MJ."

"Well, if you wanted to move to the third floor," Flash was leaning against the door frame. "I've got room in my bed for someone your size."

You laughed pointedly and then saw that he was mostly joking.

"No, but seriously, if there's anything I can do, let me know." And he left.

"Woah, I don't think I've ever seen Flash talk that way to anyone. Even to a girl." Ned said.

You shrugged. "Whatever. He knows I don't side with his attitude."

"Yeah," Ned resumed his unpacking.

You noticed that Peter was kneeling next to his bed and with a start you saw a contemptuous look on his face.

"Hey, Pete, you good?"

He seemed to blink out of it and turned his head away from you. "Oh, yeah, just thinking...."

You nodded, assuming he meant about the meet. "Don't worry, this will all be over tomorrow night. And then we can celebrate! I know you guys are gonna do well."

You saw Ned give Peter a sympathetic look, but you were already on your way out the door, so you didn't question it. "I'm gonna go unpack, but let's meet in the lobby in ten? There are some cool exhibits I want to check out before dinner.

Peter and Ned agreed so you left to attend to your room.

~~~

"Oh, look, this one's about Queens!" You said, pulling Peter towards another stand.

You were in the auditorium of the grand hotel and were gazing at impressive displays of history, mathematics, and science while you described them in detail to Peter, who looked almost as happy as you felt.

Pictures of the familiar landscape you saw every morning on your way to school popped up and began to read:

"Queens, New York has been known for many things, but perhaps the most mysterious of all is the disappearance of its own hometown superhero." you stopped reading as Peter flinched beside you.

"What's up?" you turned.

But it must have only been Ned's presence that had taken Peter aback because Ned smiled from beside him and said: "Nothing, just looking for Betty. She was going to meet me down here."

You nodded and turned back to the presentation. It now showed a cardboard mini-cut-out of a red and blue clad figure swinging by buildings.

"Spider-Man is perhaps the only hero to ever disappear without a trace just after turning a huge criminal in."

You paused. "You know, I've never really heard why he vanished. Do you guys know?" You said, not turning around.

After an awkward pause you glanced behind you to see Ned and Peter in a whispered debate.