i • first day

Moving is never easy, especially when your parents are fighting.

Unfortunately, you were caught in the middle of just such a situation.

You had been annoyed with the prospect of moving a few weeks into your senior year, but during the drive from Chicago to Queens, you decided that it was a good thing you would have a school to attend right away. Your parents had bickered the entire trip, and you were eager to get some space.

It was, nevertheless, a harrowing experience to be the new kid. For, while your troubles at home had become the norm, your troubles at school were only beginning.

"Ouch— hey!" You whipped around to come face to face with the jerk that had stepped on the back of your shoe.

Flash Thompson smirked at you. "'sup new girl,"

You knew his name because that morning, you had heard the principal bellow it down the hallway.

"Yeah, okay, trouble maker," you replied.

Flash rolled his eyes dramatically. "I'm no trouble maker, but I can definitely cause some mischief with you in the bathroom,"

It was your turn to roll your eyes. "Thanks so much for the offer, but I think I'll pass."

You shut your locker and attempted to leave, but you walked straight into a boy three times your size.

"Oh my gosh, are you okay? I'm so sorry," The boy said as your notebooks scattered to the floor.

Behind you, Flash and his entourage began to laugh.

You hurried to collect your things, your cheeks burning with embarrassment.

The boy was trying to help you, but he seemed to be holding onto something behind him. You shook your head as Flash walked away, still laughing. This was turning into a great first day.

You finished gathering your belongings and stood up to face the boy you'd run into. Technically, you owed him an apology for bumping into him, even if you had dropped your things.

"I'm sorry I ran into you," you said, nodding and stepping aside to angle yourself towards the school's exit.

As you did so, the thing the boy had been holding onto caught your eye. It wasn't a railing, like you had suspected, it was a person; another boy.

"Hey, wait," The large boy said. "My name's Ned." He stuck out his hand.

You had to shift your gear into one arm to shake his hand. "___," you said.

"Are you really new here?"

You told him you were.

"And you're a senior?" He asked. The boy behind him was oddly still. You caught sight of his eyes and saw that he was gazing at the wall ahead of him, seeming unfazed by the emptying hallway.

"Uh, yeah, my parents moved here from Chicago last week. It's been weird changing schools for my last year." you said.

"Oh, tell me about it." Ned laughed sympathetically. "I had to move half way through my junior year. Not fun."

You nodded, wanting to end the conversation and retrieve your backpack from where you'd left it in the cafeteria, but before you could leave, the boy behind Ned spoke up.

"Yeah, but you didn't have to change schools."

Ned jumped and moved to let the boy come closer. Upon seeing him clearly now, you noticed his eyes weren't focussing on anything in particular.

"___, this is Peter." Ned said, gesturing to the boy. "He's uh, he's blind."

"But not dumb, I can speak for myself." Peter said.

You bit your cheek. The bus would be at the station any minute and you could not miss it. You did not want to walk home.

"Well, it's been nice meeting you, but—"

"Hey wait a minute," Ned interrupted. "Aren't you in our Spanish class?"

You paused, remembering. "I'm not sure," you said, not liking where this was going.

"Well, Peter wasn't there because he was at the dentist this morning, but I totally remember you. We have a huge test tomorrow, is Mr. Hunter going to let you have more time to study?"

You tapped your foot anxiously. "No, I don't think so."

Ned looked sorry. "Hopefully you do well."

You assured him you would try.

"Hey, Peter and I are studying together all afternoon. You should join us." Ned's bright face clashed with Peter's sullen one.

You inwardly grimaced. If you were being honest, making friends with the fat and blind kids weren't on your goals list.

However, you were in trouble if you failed that Spanish test, which was likely if you didn't study, and you had no textbook yet to study from. If you wanted help, this might be your only way.

Reluctantly, you accepted, telling yourself that this would be a one time thing.

"Great!" Ned's face broke into a grin. "May won't mind, right Peter?"

Peter shook his head. "'course not; it's May. She'll probably adopt her or something."

So, you found your bag with the boys, and made your way to the front of the school, hoping against hope that you would find other friends tomorrow. 

___
Don't forget to vote if you liked it!