ix • only a party

When you walked in, the music from the speakers blared so loud you had to cover your ears.

When they stopped ringing you removed your hands, and the music had steadied. It was an even thrum rather than a rocky blast now.

The foyer was crowded with just about everyone from school. This wasn't your first time at a party, but you were still a bit anxious. Where were your friends?

"___!" You heard from somewhere to your left.

Turning, you made eye contact with MJ and saw that Abraham and Cindy were with her by the kitchen counter.

"Hey guys!" You called over the music as you reached them.

Abraham waved and Cindy nodded her greeting.

"Where's Peter?" MJ shouted.

"Not sure! He said he was coming later!" You said loudly as someone pressed a cup into your hand.

You glanced down at the drink. "Where are Flash's parents?"

MJ shrugged. "Far away apparently." She took a sip from her own cup.

You shrugged, considered who your ride home was, and lifted the cup to your lips.

"Hey, MJ mentioned something about Peter wanting to join the team." Abraham said in his buoyant voice from beside you. "What's that about?"

You glanced up. "He used to be in it and he misses it. I think he would be great."

Cindy latched onto Abraham's arm.

"She also said you'd be his guide!" He continued.

This meant Mr. Harrington had discussed the email with MJ.

You turned. "MJ!"

She flipped around, tearing her eyes away from the far corner.

You looked in that direction but couldn't see anything out of the ordinary. Just Betty dancing by a few other kids.

"Did Mr. Harrington talk to you about Peter joining the decathlon team?"

MJ nodded. "I'm not supposed to say anything, but they're seriously considering it. You made some good points in that email." She said loudly, glancing back to that corner.

Satisfaction coursed through you. "Good!" Then, after another drink: "What's in the corner?"

MJ didn't look at you while she answered: "Betty's not alone tonight."

You frowned. Ned had needed to study for a test tonight and hadn't been able to come. What did MJ mean?

Squinting, you tried to locate Betty in the mass of students now moshing in the living room.  

Your eyebrows shot up. MJ was right. Betty wasn't alone.

Jason was dancing far too close for Ned's liking; and Betty was doing nothing to stop it.

Unease bubbled in your stomach as you considered what was happening.

Eventually, MJ turned away, declaring that she couldn't be bothered by Betty's antics and that she wanted to go dance.

You laughed. The MJ you knew would never have initiated something like this. You figured the drink in her hand wasn't her first tonight.

Speaking of which, you glanced down at your nearly empty cup. I need a refill.

"Heyyy!" A loud and energetic voice said from behind you.

Looking around while making your way to the kitchen, you saw Flash jumping around, slapping people on the back and receiving praise for his excellent party.