xxii • the threat

It wasn't until you'd gone back to your apartment, now free of your parents, that you'd considered the dangers of being Peter Parker's girlfriend.

For one thing, Peter wasn't technically one hundred percent human. He had described how he'd gotten his powers and had shown you how he could still cling to walls and lift heavy things. That was great, but what if he got carried away one day? Was being crushed by your boyfriend truly a concern you needed to address?

And then there was this Wringer fellow. Jackson Brody. He hadn't been seen since he'd broken out of the high-security prison a few months ago, but still. Peter was worried, even convinced, that Brody would seek him out for revenge. And you were very aware of how awful people targeted individuals that were close to their adversary. That put you and May in harm's way.

Peter had tried to suggest the option of breaking up, but after you'd told him flat out that you weren't going anywhere, he'd dropped it and kissed you for ten minutes straight.

So now all you had to do was hope Brody never showed up. And if he did, hope that the police would get there in time.

But you weren't too worried. How would Brody even know where to look? You put the thought from your mind as March turned into April.

It was a week before the national decathlon event and the team was studying hard, staying hours after school just to go over the strictest of details. MJ was relentless.

"If she keeps us late like this tomorrow I'm gonna have to skip out early to make it to work. The dinner rush doesn't wait." Peter mumbled to you as the rest of the team gathered their things.

You laughed. "She knows the schedule, I'm sure it'll be fine."

Peter smiled and took your hand. "Ready?"

You waved to MJ and Ned and then gave a cheeky smile to Flash who was making fish faces at you from the other end of the room. "Yeah, let's go."

Just as you and Peter were leaving the school, a mass of blonde hair enveloped you. Next thing you knew there was a person sobbing on your shoulder.

"Woah, woah," You said, trying to understand what was happening as Peter practically threw the girl off of you.

"Stop!" You cried, recognizing her. "Pete, wait, it's Betty."

"Um," Peter froze, a disheveled Betty in his arms, having nearly been tossed to the ground. "I thought that was the point?"

"Oh, come on, let her go." You pushed Peter out of the way and he easily released her.

Betty covered her face in her hands and continued to cry. "Oh— ___, I'm so stupid!"

You saw Peter make a face that clearly said he agreed, but you ignored him. "Hey, uh, it's okay Bets, what's wrong?"

She sniffed and peeked through her fingers at you. "Jason dumped me."

"Oh...." You remarked as Betty found your shoulder again. "Well... gosh, I'm sorry about that,"

Peter was looking incredulous behind you.

"I've been m— missing Ned for a long time and I was trying to figure out h— how to br— break up with J— Jason but he— he did it first and now I feel awful!" Betty cried.

Despite the disgusted look MJ was giving you while walking past, you put your arms around Betty and held her. "Hey, shh, it'll all be okay."

"You th— think so?" Betty sniffed.

"Of course," You smiled.

Betty only needed a few more affirmations before she was stable enough to find her car in the parking lot and then she was gone.