xii • could it be true?

"Oh my gosh," Betty complained. "Why didn't any of you tell me my hair was such a disaster?" She plucked the small mirror that MJ was using out of her hands and hastily flattened her hair.

You had to bite your cheek to stop from laughing at the look MJ gave you while you moved your backpack down from your shoulders to the ground. The bench beneath you was cold but you didn't mind much. Peter would be out of class any second.

"This school, I swear." Betty snapped the mirror closed and tossed it back. "Freshman year me was such an idiot, why did I pick this place?"

You narrowed your eyebrows. "What do you mean? This place is great, I thought you loved it here."

"Yeah," MJ opened the mirror again to finish applying her eyeliner. "You do the school announcements and everything. What's up?"

Betty sighed dramatically and leaned against the back of the bench, glancing at the school entrance every few seconds. "I've just outgrown this nerd school. People here can be so mundane."

MJ rummaged through her bag for more make-up. "Yeah, okay." She pulled out some black lipstick. "If you ask me, it sounds like you've been hanging out with Jason lately."

Betty seemed to ignore her. "Do you think Jason will want to take me out on Valentine's day?"

"Um, aren't you dating Ned?" You reminded her.

Betty waved you away. "He doesn't mind."

"I'm pretty sure he doesn't know." MJ mumbled, painting her lips black. "So ___, are you going to ask Peter out?"

You blanched. "W— what?"

"Well, you obviously like him." MJ stated, as if this cleared everything up.

"Well— I—" You stammered.

Here, Betty turned. "Oh, come on. Even Ned's picked up on it. You're not exactly slick."

"Yeah," MJ said. "The only reason Peter can't see it is because he's literally blind."

You moved your mouth but no sound came out. You hadn't realized you were being that obvious.

"But don't worry," Betty turned back and toyed with her hair in the frigid January breeze. "He likes you too."

This revelation seemed to unstick your voice. "What? Where did you hear that?"

"Oh, no one needed to say it," MJ said. "It's almost as obvious as you. I'm surprised you can't see it. Honestly, it's not like you have the blind excuse."

You swallowed, turning it over in your mind. It certainly can't be true... You thought.

But was it?

"Hey guys," A familiar voice said behind you.

"Peter!" You said almost in a panic, turning in your seat to see him releasing Ned's elbow. He smiled in your direction.

"Jeez, finally." Betty grabbed her bag. "I have an essay due. Didn't you remember?"

"Of course I did," Ned smiled sweetly at her. "And I was just talking to Miss Smith about it. She thinks it'll be okay if you only turn in four pages instead of six."

Betty turned to him in a flurry. "You didn't!" A wide smile broke out over her face.

Ned looked pleased. "I did."

They walked off together, Ned waving goodbye and Betty sidling up, as if Jason hadn't been on her mind minutes before.

"What's with them?" Peter asked, lightly gripping the back of the bench. If he moved his hands an inch or two they could be resting on your shoulders.

"Oh," You glanced at MJ who was touching up her lips. "Betty's just going through it. She'll get over it though," You smiled reassuringly. I hope. You privately added.

"Well, hey, good luck to her. I know Ned's super excited about their date tomorrow. He got a new shirt and everything." Peter smiled.

It must have been too much for MJ. Or maybe she was actually running late, because she stood up then. "Well, catching up with you nerds is great and all, but the rally on East and Ninth is starting soon and they need me."

And without waiting for a response, she left, leaving you with Peter, who was looking pleased and at ease.

"So," He said.

"So, You mimicked, waiting for whatever he was trying to say.

"Um, you wanna come over?"

"Well, unless you're behind on that history report, I don't think we have any homework over the weekend."

Peter laughed. "Well, yeah, but what about just to hang out?"

You had to swallow the burst of butterflies within you. "Oh,"

"I mean—" Peter released the bench and awkwardly tapped his foot. "We don't have to. But I just figured since we haven't really in a while, and everyone else is busy, and—"

"Yeah," You interrupted him with a smile. "Peter, of course. Sorry," You shook your head as if to clear it. "I was stuck in school mode because Betty mentioned that essay. Let's definitely hang out, I can be out until around..." You checked your phone. "Eight."

"Perfect." Peter grinned. "Plus, I sort of need some assistance getting home. Y'know, not being able to see and all,"

You laughed. "Shut up, I walk home with you every day, you thought I wouldn't today?"

Peter held out a hand and you offered your elbow, standing up and slinging your bag up to your other arm.

You remembered sitting on the fire escape together weeks ago; how he had held your hand. Then you remembered the night of the party; how he had danced with you. Now, as Peter took your elbow, you wished his grasp would slip down to your fingers and keep them warm.

"Here, I can take that if you want." Peter offered.

"Really? Thanks." You let him take your bag, blushing slightly.

"No problem," he shouldered it on top of his own bag.

"Mister tough guy now, huh?"

Peter laughed. "Nah, I just don't even notice anymore."

You smirked. "Okay, okay."

Peter tightened his hold on your arm and despite your desire to hold his hand, you fought a giddy smile. "Time to go?"

"Time to go."

___
Don't forget to vote if you liked it!