viii • butterflies

"You can't tell me she isn't hot!"

"I can, and I will."

You laughed along with a few of your friends as Flash argued with MJ.

"But, it's Black Widow! She can kick ass with a single glance!"

"The ability to kick someone's trash isn't how you measure attractiveness." MJ closed up her notebook and began stuffing it into her backpack as Flash bugged his eyes in disbelief.

You were in your last class of the day, sitting amidst half of the academic decathlon team.

Ned and Betty were cuddling near the back of the room, Jason shooting them covetous glances every so often, and you, Abraham, Peter, and Cindy were sitting close by listening with amusement as Flash attempted to convince MJ she had the wrong opinion.

Class work had been complete for a while, but the bell hadn't signaled the end of the school day yet. You were glad that Mr. Stephens didn't mind the chatter of your friends because this class and lunch were the only times you really got to be around them.

Just as Flash was about to produce a new angle to his thesis, the bell rang.

Everyone in class began packing up and tossing around farewells.

"Hey, the party's tomorrow, right?" Abraham called out as MJ and Jason slung their bags over their shoulders and you zipped up your jacket.

"Does Black Widow look hot while kicking ass?" Flash asked in response.

MJ shook her head, but Abraham smiled and said "Yes!"

Flash smirked. "My house. Everyone's on the invite list except Parker!" All of you laughed, including Peter.

The rest of your friends finished gathering up their things and then filed out of the classroom.

"Hey, let's go." You said, turning to Peter.

He nodded, lifting a hand to grip the side of your backpack. You thought again how impressive it was that he could simply tell where things were before him without needing to see. To you, it almost seemed like a superpower.

With the school hallway full of noise, it wasn't until you and Peter were outside the school grounds when you could talk.

"Do you really think people are going to that party?" Peter asked, his grip on your bag slacking as he became aware of the familiar route to his apartment.

You shrugged, though only out of habit. You were aware that Peter couldn't see it. "Not sure. Flash is the one hosting it, anyway. It could either be a total bust or the biggest event of the year."

Peter nodded, considering this.

You heard his stomach growl.

"I told you to finish your lunch." You teased.

Peter grinned sheepishly beside you as you held out an arm, stopping him as you reached out to tap the crosswalk button.

"It was gross. Plus, I found a five under my bed last night, I'm thinking about stopping for some Delmar's. Friday calls for a treat." Peter stepped forward just as the crosswalk sign changed. You figured he must have heard something switch in the electric box beside you that you hadn't picked up on.

"Delmar's?" You kept pace with him to the other side of the road. "We just had that earlier this week!"

"Never too often." Peter said simply.

You shook your head.

Because Peter had dropped his hand from your bag, it swung at his side. You could feel it brushing against yours every time he shifted his pace and you realized your stomach was doing somersaults every time it happened.