x • that aching feeling

You woke up the next day with a stinging headache. At first you tried to tell yourself that falling back asleep would cure your pain, but after realizing your parents were screaming at each other again you knew you wouldn't be able to get any rest.

Wincing from the head rush, you eased out of bed and shuffled your way to the kitchen for a glass of water and a few crackers. You had never been so wasted before last night. What was safe to eat? You wondered.

You figured some basic carbs would go down alright and you grabbed yourself a cold bottle of water from the refrigerator.

Your parents were still yelling.

Being careful to avoid their quarrel, you eased yourself back up to your bedroom and quietly closed the door. You never enjoyed dealing with your parents all weekend and doing so with a hangover would be complete torture.

You sank into your bed, spilling a bit of water onto your sweatpants.

From the dresser beside you, your phone buzzed.

Gingerly you reached over to check it. There were three texts from MJ.

"Did Betty go home with you? She disappeared and Ned hasn't seen her." And: "I'm nervous she went home with Jason." And: "___ pick up. You can't have been that drunk."

You rubbed your eyes and stifled a yawn. Betty was missing?

You sent back a message asking if MJ had been able to find her.

Then you sighed and set your phone down. Your stomach rumbled. It was time to take a shot at those crackers.

After a few you began to feel a bit better. Your head was still pounding madly, but at least your throat was watered and your stomach filling.

You stood slowly, wanting to go sit out on the deck and have the crisp, cool air brush over your face and through your hair.

Your parents seemed to be having their fight in their bedroom. As you made your way to the sliding glass door you heard something that sounded like a lamp being broken against the wall. Things must be getting pretty bad. You briefly considered packing a bag and catching a cab to your grandmother's house an hour away, but concluded that you didn't have the energy for something so involved.

You slid the door shut and surveyed the city before you. Despite initially hating your move to this new place, you had to admit that the view around you was awe-inspiring.

After a few minutes of letting the breeze calm your anxious body, your phone buzzed again. Only this time someone was calling you.

You picked it up and said, "Hello?" wincing at your groggy voice.

"Hey," Peter said on the other end.

You felt a bubble of happiness begin to expand in your chest. "What's up?"

"Nothing, I just wanted to make sure you were feeling okay."

You smiled. "I'm fine. Just tired and my head sorta hurts."

Peter snickered.

"Hey," you defended. "I drank a lot last night. Don't laugh."

"You're right, you're right, you suffering now because you drank too much isn't funny. It isn't."

He didn't sound very convincing to you but you were too exhausted to argue.

"I was just wondering if you wanted to come over to May's for a movie or lunch or something."

You shook your head, a small smile forming. "How do you always know when I need an escape?"

"Not sure." He said. "Must be a super power. Are they giving you a hard time?" His voice had changed to a serious tone.

You swallowed. "I think this is one of their worst fights yet. I'd love to get out of the house."

"Alright, well that means you'll just have to stay here all day. Sunday's are fun days. You can't go back home until we fulfill that adage."

You rolled your eyes. "Fine, but I have a request."

"Anything," Peter replied instantly.

Gratitude for your friend swelled inside you like a balloon. "I get to lay down on your couch."

Peter laughed easily. "Of course. And I'll ask May to throw a few bottles of water into the fridge. How about that?"

You thanked him. "I'll take the subway down to our school stop."

"Alright, I'll meet you there."

"But that's so far— You don't need to. I'll just walk it—"

"I can do it, don't worry about me. I don't always need a guide, y'know? But I'll use my cane if it'll make you happy."

Letting loose a small laugh, you told him he was crazy but you would keep your eye out for him at the station.

He said he would do that same and then the two of you broke into a fit of exhausted laughter, too tired to do much else.

"I'll see you soon." He finally said; and you could hear the smirk in his voice.

"You too."

___
Don't forget to vote if you liked it!