Chapter 10: As Good As It Gets

It wasn't until she was walking up the steps to Holcombe Hall that Jessica remembered what she was wearing and quickly removed the coat and bunched it under her arm. It wouldn't do to let the servants see her arriving dressed in a man's garment. Maybe she ought to burn it.

Is this how you kiss my father as well?

How dare he suggest she was kissing his father? A piercing feeling made itself known in the region of her heart, but she pushed it away, more comfortable with her anger.

Heartache and outrage fought for dominance, both fuelling her steps as she marched through the manor. After all the years he'd known her, he should know her better than this, but apparently not. It stung. Stopping on the way to her room, she opened the door to Jacob's and threw his coat inside, caring little for if it ended up on the floor. As far as she was concerned, he could end up on the floor too, and she wouldn't mind stepping on him a few times for good measure.

Once in her room, she summoned the upstairs maid to help her change into a new dress. A simple, white one with a blue pattern. The one from her walk had dried but was wrinkled and dirty. Hardly fit for socialising.

Not much later she found herself outside, enjoying Holcombe's splendid gardens. They were well-tended and filled with fragrant flowers and lush bushes. Her home, Davenhall, also had beautiful gardens but quite different from those of Holcombe. Everything about the duke's estate spoke of wealth; meticulously groomed and bred, while at Davenhall the gardens were wilder and familiar. Like the house itself. For the first time since she'd left, she missed home. That was the fundamental difference between the two estates. Davenhall was home, while Holcombe was just another ducal estate filled with splendour but without a soul.

If there had been a large, loving family perhaps the manor would have felt different, but with Jacob and his father as the only inhabitants—except for the servants—for many years, the place felt barren and cold despite all the luxurious furniture and generations of family heritage. She looked back at the imposing building. It was a pity, really. Holcombe was such a beautiful building, made of red brick and limestone with curved Dutch gables and turrets.

A small noise from behind some bushes caught her attention, and she turned away from the manor house. Walking around the hedges, she found Olivia sitting on the grass, her simple green dress spread out around her and a bunch of white flowers in her lap. Sitting silently, she gazed down at the flowers as she tore the petals from them one by one.

"Olivia?" Jessica spoke her name quietly, not wanting to startle her.

The young girl stopped what she was doing and looked up. Her eyes were dry, so she hadn't been crying, as she had first thought, but there was definitely something troubled and sad about her countenance.

"Are you well?" she asked as she crouched down. "I thought you were in Bridlewood today."

"I was," Olivia said with a dainty shrug. "But I grew bored with my chattering friends and returned early." She looked back down at the flowers in her lap and continued pulling the petals off one bloom.

Jessica sat down, regarding her for a moment without speaking, but when Olivia said nothing, only kept pulling at the flowers, she could not keep silent. "Is something the matter? Are you sure you are well?"

With a sigh, Olivia looked up to meet her eyes. "I suppose I am not," she admitted. "I went to Bridlewood to keep my mind occupied, but it didn't help."

"Tell me." Jessica reached out, taking the girl's hand.

Olivia cocked her head slightly to the side. "Do you know why my parents left me here at Holcombe for the summer?"