Chapter 31: Lady Hearn

"I can't believe I forgot I had agreed to attend this ball," Jacob grumbled as they followed a footman through the house to the ballroom. Leaning in closer, he murmured in Jessica's ear, "I had hoped to spend a few more days making up for lost time."

His hot breath against her skin sent a jolt through her, and she playfully pushed him away, not wanting to make a scene in front of others. If the servant walking in front of them had noticed, he tactfully pretended he had not.

"Ugh, can you not do that in front of me?" Jessica's sister Rain was not as tactful.

Jacob threw an amused glance over his shoulder. "You chose to stay with us," he reminded her. "This is the price you pay."

"Maybe I should have returned to Davenhall with the rest of the family," Rain muttered, but Jessica knew she much preferred her current circumstances. The girl had begged to stay in London with them rather than return to the family's country home with the rest of the family.

"At least, now that I'm a married man, the marriage-minded mamas and their tittering debutantes can no longer hound me," Jacob said cheerfully. "Winter can have all the women to himself!"

Jessica smiled at his obvious good humour. "Certainly he's not the only bachelor at the ball?"

"No, but one of the more eligible ones. It will be between him and Gowthorpe, I imagine. Lady Kilkenny isn't entirely daft, she knows better than to invite too many gentlemen more eligible than her son."

"I've heard he's a bit daft himself," Rain said with a grin.

"He may not be the sharpest tool in the shed," Jacob allowed. "But he's a good friend, so I would appreciate it if you didn't speak badly of him."

"Of course. From what I hear, he's pleasant enough." She smiled. "I cannot wait until next year when I have my season and get to meet all the people my friends are gossipping about in person."

"You won't be disappointed," Jacob muttered. "They are just as dull and single-minded as you've been told. If not more so."

Jessica laughed and nudged his shoulder. "Don't frighten the poor girl, she'll never want a season."

"Oh yes, I will! And I will take London by storm." They'd reached the ballroom, and with a mischievous grin and a wink, Rain disappeared as she saw someone she knew.

"She's going to be hell when she has her season," Jacob warned as he watched her cross the room. "Pensington is going to have to beat men with a stick to leave her alone."

"I imagine so." Jessica smiled. Her younger sister was the beauty of the family, and there was not a man who could withstand her natural wit and charm. She definitely did not envy her brother having to chaperone her next year.

"But let's not talk about your sister. I think we should look at Lady Kilkenny's library." The dark look in his eyes left no doubt of what he wanted.

Ever since the evening in the library, they had called a truce and their marriage seemed to be going really well. He was home nearly every day, and only ever left when he had no choice but to do so. The promise of making up for lost time was one he seemed intent to keep as he made love to her in every corner of the house at every hour of the day. She couldn't quite believe how happy she was at the moment.

"I think that sounds like a splendid idea," she murmured, and he immediately took her hand and led her through the house, quickly finding the library.

"Have you been here before?" she asked as he closed the door behind them, suddenly worried he might have brought other women there for trysts.

Sliding his arms around her waist, he placed a kiss below her ear and she automatically tilted her head to allow him better access.