Chapter 7

A/N: So here's 7! It's a bit longer but there's a couple surprises in there, some good and some bad. Hopefully I wrote them write, if not let me know and I can fix it. Happy reading! Let me know what you think!

⚠️Waning: Depicts cutting/scars from cutting⚠️

Asami POV

"Tonraq, Senna, if it is alright with you, I would like to stay the night here with Korra. Would that be alright? And I know you have business to get back to, so I just thought" I asked, giving an uncertain shrug.

Senna brought a hand up to my cheek and caressed it, "I could think of no better person to stay with her," Senna states gently.

"But I thought-" Tonraq started, only to be cut off by an elbow to the rib from his wife.

"Thank you both,"I smiled warmly at them. 

A few minutes later, Korra was finally back from surgery. She had a light blue cast on her left arm. Her head was wrapped with gauze and some bandages and there were bandages covering almost the entirety of the right side of her face. And she was still asleep. Dr. Kya was explaining the process of the surgery and what happened but I wasn't paying any attention. The girl in front of me had my full attention as I just stared at her.

"The surgery was a success and if you would like we can try to start waking her up soon."

"That would be great, thank you," Tonraq replied.

"Before I go, there was something I wanted to point out to you. I didn't know if you knew of this and wanted to make sure," Dr. Kya said, walking towards the tan skinned girl, motioning for them to follow.

"We had to take off her bracelets for the surgery and found this," Dr. Kya lifted up Korra's right arm, turning it towards me and her parents. We all gasped in surprise, shocked. On the inside of her wrists were scars, some were older, but I could see fresh cuts there too, only a few days old. I knew what those cuts meant, I recognized them.

"These are on her left wrist too, please let me know if there is anything we can do. I will let you be so you can talk about this and I will be back shortly to help wake her up."

"Based on your reactions, I'm guessing neither one of you knew about this either," I said, turning towards her parents.

"We are just as shocked as you are, dear," Senna replied.

Tonraq just stood there staring at Korra's wrists, "why wouldn't she tell us?" he said, in the softest voice I had ever heard him use.

"On the outside you would never know something was wrong, she just looked so happy and carefree. You would never think she was carrying the weight of the world on her shoulders. I mean we live together and I never even picked up on it," I said, as I walked over to the table where the thick leather bracelets were, picking them up. "I guess that's why she wore these all the time, to hide them. I always just thought they were just sentimental in someway," I looked on the inside of the bracelets and brushes my fingers over spots of dried blood.

"We're her parents and we didn't even notice. Why didn't we notice?" Tonraq said, again in that small voice. He looked like his mind was a thousand miles away.

I was so caught up, looking between Korra's bracelets and her wrist that I didn't feel Senna's soft eyes on me. "You care for her, don't you?" she said, no judgement in her voice, only concern.

The question caught me off guard. Of course I cared for her. "She's my best friend, of course I do," I responded.

"That's not what I meant dear."