Chapter 17

Right when we walked inside his place I was ready to start questioning him, but he spoke first.

"I know you've been with Nicholas."

He said taking off his watch and unbuttoning the top buttons of his shirt.

"So what?"

"I thought we were trying to fix things between us."

"Fix things? We've been at this for like 9 years! Things changed, I changed, since I last saw you."

"Then what about the night you slept with me? Did that mean nothing?"

"Of course not! At the time it did mean something, but all that something is was nostalgia. I missed you, the old you. It felt good to be back with my first love, but we need to move on!"

"We can't just 'move on', Daniella. We have too much invested in each other."

"But we have to, Gabe. We can't be the same as we were. Why did you send my mother that letter saying everything is fine and the marriage is back on?"

"I thought it would be by now. I didn't know you would be so resistant to come back to me."

"We can't get back together, I'm sorry. It's officially over, so please stop."

"You don't want to talk about this, Daniella? You don't know what you're doing."

"Yes, I do. And no, I'm leaving. Goodbye Gabriel."

I say walking for the door.

"Don't leave."

I continued for the door.

"I said don't leave."

He yelled pulling my arm back.

"What the hell Gabriel?! Don't yell at me and tell me what to do like you own me!"

"I do practically own you!"

"Shut the fuck up, no one owns me!"

I yell shoving him away.

"I tried to make it easy for you, I really did. I was going to wait until you were ready, but since you are going to be a bitch about it I'll just tell you now."

"What the hell is it?!"

"We are legally married."

"We are... what?"

I say not knowing whether to laugh or cry.

"Your father signed the papers for you before he died. After his death, I kept it a secret because you were going through a lot."

"Married?"

"Yes."

"How? There's no way! I knew nothing about this."

"With our resources it wasn't really all that hard."

"How could you?"

"We both had your best interest in mind."

"There is no way my father would agree to do something like that. What did you do? Did you threaten him? I want the truth!"

"You still think very highly of your father. You honestly don't have one little voice of reason in your mind telling you that he did it?"

"No, no way. My father loved me more than he loved himself, he wouldn't have kept this a secret from me."

Gabriel chuckled.

"Yeah, the bastard didn't go down without a fight."

"You killed my father after he signed that marriage contract."