Chapter 1

It's been a year since my father's death and business has never been better. I guess the Family just needed a younger leader to take over and take more daring risks than the traditional former Luca Romano. I live by myself in one of my family's many mansions, though I never truly feel alone since I have security constantly roaming through the house. My mother now lives with my aunt back in Sicily, Italy, saying that she wants to spend her last years on this earth in her homeland. I don't blame her for wanting to leave now that my father is dead. Why would she want to stay and watch her "delicate flower" of a daughter blow off people's heads with a gun. She told me that nobody would ever want to marry such a "ragazza violenta". I laughed in her face and asked what was this foolish talk of marriage. I guess that pushed her over the edge and she moved out. She wouldn't have changed my mind though. I worked so hard for the boys to acknowledge me as one of them and becoming a wife would just bring about jokes. I swore against marriage, telling myself that I must be the strong son that my father always wished I was.

I now sat alone in my large office looking out the window into the busy streets of New York. The phone suddenly began to ring and I answered with

"Hello."

"Dani Romano?"

"Who's this?"

"It's Carlo Valentino, remember me?"

"Uncle Carlo? It's been too long!"

"Haha, yes, I know doll. I haven't seen you since you were 10 years old threatening to shoot Nico in the head with your Pop's gun if he wouldn't give you back your Barbie."

I smiled at the memory of the pigtailed me aiming my dad's pistol at Carlo's son. You learn things being raised in the mafia.

"How is your no good son anyway?"

"Which one? Nico, Dante, or Carlo Jr.?"

"Oh, that's right. You have more than one immature sons."

I joked. Although I knew that Carlo Jr. and Dante are respectable men who worked with their father, being that Dante the Valentino golden boy. It's just Nicholas who has never really been able to behave in the family.

"But really, Daniella, I don't know what to do with him."

I shifted on the table. It's been a long time since someone called me by my full first name.

"Anyways, there is a reason why I'm calling. I have a favor to ask of you."

"A favor?"

"The Valentino's have been having some trouble with break-ins in the Family's vault. Though surprisingly enough, the thief never takes more than $500 at a time. I think it's someone inside the Family who's stealing, therefore I can not send my own men in to investigate. Could you be a doll and take care of the thief for your poor uncle Carlo?"

"Anything for you, Carlo. I'll come by later tonight."

I agreed, even though he wasn't really my uncle, but a close family friend.

"Oh, and one last thing, come alone so that people won't get suspicious of a group of Romano's hanging around outside of the Valentino vault, okay?"

"Sure thing, bye now."

I hung up the phone and stood up from my desk. The clock read 4:37 pm and I had a dinner meeting at 7 with some clients. I ran my fingers through my hair then picked up my Gucci purse and walked out the door.

Since I had a bit of time between now and the meeting, I figured a little shopping wouldn't hurt. I drove into a parking garage and unbuckled my seat belt. Before getting out of the car, I opened the glove compartment and took out a gun and threw it in my purse. You never know what to expect now a days. I walked to the front of the store in my Prada heels and black skinny jeans where the doorman opened the door.

"Welcome back, Ms. Romano."

The Chanel store manager greeted me at the door.

"Thank you."

I smiled as I continued to walk more into the store. The blonde manager scurried behind me to keep up with my pace and collect the products that interest me. Within seconds I found a black quilted bag, grey high heels, a classic black dress, and large black sunglasses, all of which the manager had carried by a man in a suit.

"Are you ready to proceed to the V.I.P dressing room, Ms. Romano?"

"Yes, but could you please get me this purse in red as well?"

I asked pointing at the black quilted Chanel bag.

"Not a problem, now right this way."

She smiled motioning up the stairs.

Upstairs I was given a glass of champagne and I had the whole room to myself. I put on the dress then stepped out to look in the mirror.

"You look gorgeous, Ms. Romano!"

The manager exaggerated while clasping her manicured hands.

In the mirror stood a 23 year old woman with gentle curves and olive tanned skin. Though I may not be thrilled about wearing dresses to important events, sometimes it is simply a must. I changed back into my clothes and walked downstairs to the register. After the manager rung everything up, my total came out to $14,952.

"I'll put that on your credit, Ms. Romano."

Meaning she will send someone for the money from the Romano Vault. I nodded then walked out with the man in the suit carrying my bags behind me.

Back in the car, the clock made me realize that I only had 40 more minutes to make it to the meeting. With the New York evening traffic, it should take me about 30 minutes to get there, as long as I don't stop any where else.

"Ms. Romano"

The men said as I walked into the private dining room at a popular restaurant. I took my seat at the front of the table as the men settled into their chairs. A waiter sat a martini in front of me when a man began to speak.

"Thank you for taking time out of your busy schedule to listen to our business proposal. We would like to discuss the matters of ........"

The meeting carried on for 2 hours as I sat back in my chair listening to the men, occasionally nodding or disrupting and saying my opinion.

When the meeting was over, I drove to my house. It was 3 stories tall and about a good 40 minutes out of the city. This house has been in my family for generations, so it has sentimental value to me. When I arrived, the metal gates pulled open and I parked in the 4 car garage. My heels clicked up the stairs to my bedroom where two men were patrolling the hallways. My room was painted grey with white windows, hardwood floors, and had a light blue bed on the left wall and a flat screen adjacent. I walked past my bed and into my walk in closet that was filled with dark colored clothes. In the back of the closet, I opened a drawer and typed in the key pad hidden at the bottom of the drawer underneath the collection of Victoria Secret bras.

A sliding door appeared and I pulled it out. The light glistened on the many shiny guns that were carefully put on display. I kicked off my heels and took off my dress and put on a tight black sleeveless shirt, jeans, and black Jordan's. I reached for a silver knife that I put inside my Jordan's then a gun that fit snugly in my holster. I threw on a leather jacket to hide the gun on my way out of the closet.

Time for work.