Overheard

On a snowy morning in Potions, you're watching the mixture in your cauldron turn from a light lilac color to a deep plum when you overhear two Slytherins at the table next to yours talking loudly.

"He would hate that!" one of them laughs, his dark brown hair sways over his angular face.

"Yeah, but it would be funny. I heard someone last year decorated his door and they got two months of detention." the other boy responds. He's much shorter and his head looks as if it's been squashed down, causing his neck to disappear.

"Throwing a surprise party for the potion's master..." the dark haired Slytherin boy says while struggling to keep the bubbling liquid in his cauldron under control. "What a story that would make."

"To be fair, he could use it. Doesn't seem like anyone ever remembers his birthday." the short boy responds while glaring at his own cauldron. "Didn't seem like it during breakfast at least."

You frown as you briefly glance up at the two boys, wondering why Snape hadn't told you that his birthday was today. How is that these two idiots know about it and you don't?

The two boys seem to be too distracted by their disastrous potion to notice the dark-clothed Professor making his way over to their table.

"The old blokes seemed happier though, hasn't he?" the short one continues blabbing, completely oblivious to Snape standing behind him.

The one with dark brown hair snorts. "Yeah, wonder if he's finally getting some-"

"Wilkins." Snape interjects. Both of the boys jump in unison in surprise, quickly turning around to face Snape; they stumble into the cauldron and splatter the potion everywhere in the process. "Detention! Both of you." Snape seethes, "My personal life is none of your concern. Get back to work."

Both of the boys nod hurriedly, turning back to their cauldron and muttering apologies under their breath. You press your lips together, trying to hold back a laugh.

As Snape goes to head back to the front of the classroom, you try to catch his eye but he evades your attempt.

Why didn't he tell me it was his birthday?

Right away, your mind starts spinning, trying to brainstorm last minute ideas for a gift. There's no way you could get to Hogsmeade today, and it's too late to order anything and have your owl deliver it in time. Caused by no wrong doing of your own, you begin to feel slightly guilty.

At the end of the period you linger in the room, waiting for the class to clear out before striding up to Snape's desk. He notices your presence and waves the door shut.

"Happy birthday, Professor." you say as you stop in front of him.

Snape looks up sharply to you. "How did-" his voice cuts off when he realizes you overheard the students talking and rolls his eyes.

"Why didn't you tell me?" you frown.

It's evident Snape doesn't like drawing attention to himself if it can be avoided, and understandable if he attempts to prevent students from finding out, but you're slightly hurt he didn't trust or care enough to tell you.

"My birthday has never been of significant importance." Snape responds, standing up from his chair and rounding his desk.

"What do you mean? Birthdays are supposed to be special." you ask as you follow him with your eyes.

Snape glides past you, ignoring your question.

After a moment of awkward silence you speak up again. "I want to get you something."