Answers

When you step foot into Snape's quarters, he furrows his brows, contemplating where he should take you.

You're nervous being alone with him. There's a part of you that feels guilty for asking to come with him when he made it very clear just a few days ago that any kind of relationship between you would not continue. You wonder if he just pities you, whether that's the only reason he agreed to this.

With his hand on your back, he leads you to his bed, and gently helps you lay down on it. He pulls the covers over you as you smile lightly up at him.

"Thank you." you say softly.

Snape simply nods, looking away. He doesn't know how to comfort you, or if he even should. He starts to turn away but you grab his arm, attempting to pull him closer.

"Severus-" you start to say. You want to ask him what this means, what's happening. You want to tell him how much you miss him, how you can't rid your thoughts of him, no matter how hard you try.

But he simply pulls his arm away and turns from the bed without saying a word. He starts to head for the door, unable to face you. Discussing things with you would make him confront his own feelings, and he can't deal with that, not right now.

He got you somewhere safe and, as far as he was concerned, that was enough.

Although the heavy blankets engulf you in warmth and the soft pillows cradle your head, it's not enough. All you want is for Snape to hold you, to stroke your hair like he did a few nights ago, and tell you that it would all be okay.

Tears start to well up in your eyes at the thought that you might never experience that again as you watch him walk to the door.

Snape pauses, and slowly turns back to face you. There's a soft expression behind his eyes. He turns towards the fireplace across the bed and reaches for his wand, igniting it in one swift motion.

The fire illuminates his face in a warm glow and spreads warmth throughout the room. When Snape looks at you again, you're able to see the despair on his face, upset he has to see you in a state like this.

"I'll be back, y/n." he whispers.

He turns away from you again and disappears through the door.

The way he touched your back, lit the fire for you, used your first name; that all had to mean something, right? You feel yourself spiraling into overthinking, but sleep begins to consume your body. The heat from the fireplace loosens the ache in your chest and at some point, you drift off to sleep.

***

The creaking of a door awakens you and your eyes flutter open.

Snape walks into the room and closes the door shut behind him, having to wield extra self-control not to slam it. He looks furious.

When he glances at you, he notices how peaceful you look. It comforts him knowing that you're safe in his bed. His rage slowly subsides from being back in your presence.

You slowly sit up, stretching your neck. The adrenaline in your body had worn off and the soreness of your body was starting to become very prevalent.

"What happened?" you ask hesitantly.

Snape stares at you, appalled, as if you just asked him something ridiculous.

He slowly walks closer to the bed.

"A mere suspension." he spits, "All three of them."

Snape shakes his head, muttering to himself.

"That's... good, right? Why are you upset?" you ask.

"Albus saw it unfit to expel them. They didn't injure you and I showed up just before Moss was about to immobilize you." he shouts.