As Per Usual

The next morning, you walk down the stairs towards the dungeons, mentally preparing yourself for the day ahead. It's early to be heading to class, breakfast doesn't end for another 15 minutes, but you're eager to see Professor Snape. You pull your skirt higher up your waist as you near the potions classroom.

The door is open so you walk in without knocking. The room is empty of students. You glance around for any sign of Professor Snape's presence, but he's nowhere to be found either. The only sound in the room comes from a cauldron gurgling at the other end of the room.

You breathe in the smell of the potions classroom as you approach your seat; parchment, potion ingredients, and Snape. You smile to yourself.

Setting down your bag, you turn your body, about to sit down, when you see Snape standing in the doorway.

His eyes dart down to your skirt, and his lips slightly part before he catches himself, his face becoming grim again.

"Are you here early for any reason in particular, or did you just feel inclined to pester me?" Snape says in his monotone voice while taking swift steps to his desk.

"Just wanted to talk." you say, taking a step in the direction of his desk.

Snape eyes you curiously as he sets himself down in his chair. You continue walking forward.

"And what exactly is it that you wanted to discuss?" he sighs impatiently.

"My grade, what else would I want to talk about with my Professor?" you say slowly, "Unless you had some other ideas in mind, of course..."

You're close enough now to lean on his desk. You place your hands on the edge of it and lean closer to him.

You can see something flash through his eyes, and you smirk at him. Snape knows he can't do anything to you right now, it would be too risky, another student could walk in at any moment.

"Sit down." Snape snarls.

You raise your eyebrows at him.

"Whatever you say, sir." you smirk and turn around, swaying your hips lightly as you stroll back to your seat.

Snape simply stares at you, an unrelenting frown plastered on his face.

You innocently pull out your textbook and pretend to be fascinated by the recipe for a Pepperup Potion. You feel his eyes on you, but you don't look up.

"And fix your uniform." Snape says flatly.

You glance up and tilt your head to the side. "Are you sure that's what you want?" you smirk.

You can't help but tease him, you know it drives him mad. He can't do anything about your remarks towards him. For now, at least. But little to your knowledge, every time you smirk at him, his mind comes up with another idea for your detention tonight.

As Professor Snape opens his mouth to reprimand you, a student wearing Slytherin robes strolls into the classroom, holding a copy of The Daily Prophet and darting his eyes around the words on the page.

Snape quickly looks back down at the parchment on his desk.

The classroom begins to fill up as the clock ticks closer to 9 am. You lazily flip through the Potions textbook, glancing up at Snape once in a while. He doesn't look at you though, his eyes staying focused on the parchment on his desk.

After the last person walks in, Snape abruptly stands up and rushes to slam the door shut.

"Today we will be discussing the uses and effects of the Befuddlement Draught you all attempted to brew last class." he bellows from the back of the class. A couple of people turn in their seats to look at him.

Professor Snape lazily strolls up the aisle in between the tables, occasionally frowning at students doing work for another class.

When Snape reaches your seat, he forcefully slams your textbook shut, making you sit up straight in your seat in surprise.

"Now." Snape glares at you as he turns towards the rest of the class. "Who can tell me, without looking at their books," he glances pointedly at you, "What is the use of the Befuddlement Draught?"

The hands of a few people shoot up, and he nods at a Slytherin.

"It causes the drinker to become restless, aggressive." the Slytherin girl answers

Snape nods. "10 points to Slytherin." he spins on his heels and begins pacing.

You notice the consistency in his steps, everything he does is so meticulous, so carefully planned out. As he saunters around the room, you observe the light sway of his arms, how his torso turns, how his hair bounces with each step. You're fascinated by the movements of his body that are imperceptible to others, the very specific way his hands intertwine when he's waiting for someone to answer a question. He makes your head spin just by existing.

"y/ln!" Snape says forcefully, pulling you out of your thoughts.

You shoot your head up to look at the Professor. He stares back at you, his eyebrows raised expectedly.

"Sorry, what?" you ask, your face burning.

"I said, what is an unintended side effect that's often observed in those who consume the potion?" Snape takes a step towards you. "Pull yourself out of your day dreams, and pay attention."

The sting in your face is almost painful as it burns a brighter shade of red.

"Sorry Professor," you search your brain for an answer and take a deep breath. "Nausea, the drinker often experiences nausea a few hours after taking the potion." you respond steadily.

Snape's eye twitches and a look of discomfort crosses his face. Your answer was unexpectedly perfect.

"20 points from y/h for having to repeat myself." he says harshly.

Snape goes back to his lecture, proceeding to cold call on students who look like they don't know the answer.

You trace a small engraving in the wood of your table, unable to pay attention to what he's saying, utterly consumed by his enchanting voice.

The bell rings and you stand up from your seat. You look over at him, trying to catch his eye, but he's too absorbed in setting up the room for his next class, carrying ingredients to the tables.

As you turn to walk out, he looks up at you and his eyes follow your figure out the door.

Author's note: shorter chapter, but I'll try to get out another update tonight! the next chapter will be the detention 😈 feel free to comment on any things you want to see happen in the story (events or just suggestions in general). I don't have a set plan for where I'm taking this story, so I'm open to some inspiration.

Very heavy spice level in the next chapter, prepare yourselves >:)