A Walk in the Moonlight

author's note: another extra long chapter because i couldn't leave you guys with a short chapter with no snape. yall are crazy with the support, thank u guys so much for all the feedback and comments! literally was dying laughing at some of them this morning. it's kinda cute how we all thirst over this fictional character with greasy hair and anger issues. anywayyss dis note is too long. hope u enjoy the chapter! 😼

You stroll lazily to breakfast the next day, up early enough to enjoy the morning for once.

"Did you end up figuring out that Charms homework?" Laura asks you, walking by your side.

"It's not due until next week." you say, briefly glancing at her. "So, no. I went to bed."

"Yeah, I know. I just wanted to get it done early, you know, with the quidditch match in a couple of days and everything." she explains. "I like to enjoy things without having to worry about homework that I put off doing until the last minute." Laura looks at you pointedly.

"Hey! Doing it last minute always makes it turn out better!" you argue. "I don't get how you do everything so early. How you seem to have your shit together all the time." you shake your head at her.

It's true, Laura was at the top of your class, she seemed to have it all figured out, something you always were slightly jealous of her for.

She sighs and looks at you, "That's not true, it's hard work, you know, to keep up appearances." irritation behind her voice. "I can't wait to graduate, break all forms of contact with my parents who expect nothing less than perfection all the time."

"Fuck that. Perfection is overrated." you say, smiling at her.

"Cheers to that." she says.

You sit down with Laura at the y/h table and dig into some toast. You woke up in a better mood than the day before, knowing you didn't have Potions today. You still hadn't completely processed what happened the night before in Professor Snape's office and frankly, you were grateful you didn't have to think about it, didn't have to figure out how you would face him in class. The best thing to do was to put him out of your mind completely; you weren't going to let him and his mixed signals take over your entire life.

But you can't help your curiosity. One glance couldn't hurt, right? You look up from your plate at the staff table and find that his eyes are on you already. You slowly swallow the food in your mouth.

How long has he been looking at me?

You attempt a smile, almost as a test to see what terms you're on. He looks away quickly, suddenly fascinated by the tomato on his plate.

Bad terms, apparently.

You go back to talking with Laura, your mind slowly drifts back to last night. The bell soon rings, signaling the end of breakfast, and you head to your first class of the day, Herbology.

***

Laura convinces you to work on the Charms homework with her as you walk out of your last class. You reluctantly agree and together you set off for the library.

You finish your homework pretty fast and decide to stay to keep Laura company. You stroll lazily around the shelves near your table, looking for a book to pass the time. You notice a guy with ruffled brown hair and Hufflepuff robes eyeing you from across the library, but you ignore him.

You glance back at the table to see Laura with her head in her hands.

"I hate Arithmancy." she whispers to herself.

"Your fault for taking it, thinking you're better than the rest of us." you tease her.

"Absolute idiots, all of them. I tried to make a study group, but they all just gave me weird looks. I don't know why they're taking such a hard class if they're not willing to put in any effort." she grumbles about her classmates.