CAT GOT YOUR TONGUE?

Wool's Orphanage, 1934, a few days later, Tom

                           The small head of Tom Riddle peaked everywhere for the girl, however, she was nowhere to be found. The only time he ever saw her was always from across the table when they're eating or when they're heading up for sleep. The girl was always calm and observant and he wondered what she thought about and what is she up to. Ever since she arrived, life for Tom somehow became more interesting, as though he stepped into a new world. 

But at the same time, life became even more boring as he loathed for his people-finding skills. Wool's Orphanage has been searched upside down, except for that one room. The room down the long hallway. There's no need to check the room, Tom explained to himself...not because he's scared of course.

As lunchtime gracefully arrived, the sounds of the chaotic children came to a soft muttering. This time, Tom sat directly across where the girl would sit this time. He sat down quietly, waiting for the girl to show up, not touching his food yet, in case he finishes before she shows up.

"Hey! You're in my seat!" A red-haired girl nudged Tom.

"Does it have your name on it?"

"N-no..."

"Well, Jenny, at least we've learned a lesson today, didn't we?" He spoke smoothly as he glared at Jenny. His eyes spoke of something else, something the girl never saw before or seized to understand. For an eight-year-old girl, she knew that Tom knew something more than her and it caused her to tremble a bit. Jenny slowly backed away, dragging her friends along with her despite their questioning.

Tom sat in solitary for a while longer until the long-anticipated girl showed up with her plate of food. Confused as she stared at Tom and the surprisingly empty table, the girl sat down silently and looked around for her lunch friends. Through the heads of the little children, she spotted her friends silently looking back at her, but only to quickly turn away as if they're scared.

"They told me to tell you that they don't want to play with you anymore," Tom lied. His tone was calm as he observed the girl, to which she only glanced at Tom. "They didn't like your silver hair. It's too strange."

"But they said they liked my silver hair," the girl's eyebrows narrowed slightly, her eyes slanted down as she longed at the group of girls. Tom knew fitting in here was hard and the girl would be exactly like him if she didn't fit in too, just two of them.

"That's just what girls here do. I'm sorry." The girl looked up at Tom to see a soft brown-haired boy sympathising with her. "Eat your food for now before they go cold," Tom said as he feeds himself a spoonful of now cold stew.

"Why are you still here? Don't you think I'm strange too?"

"I think you're different, but not strange," Tom said as he continued to eat. "I like different, don't you like being one of a kind?" The girl looked softly at Tom, half believing his words.

"Hey freak, did you make a friend?" Two older girls known as Ava and Isabella glared down at Tom as they sat down around them.

"And you, you're just as weird," Ava hissed at the silver-haired girl, to which, she only looked to the side and smirked.

"What are you smiling at?" The silver-haired girl ignored them and continued to eat her food. "I'm asking you! What's so funny?"

"I just think, it's pathetic that you," the silver-haired girl eyed the two girls up and down. "14? Still at the orphanage like if no one wants to adopt you."

"How fucking dare you!" Isabella screamed as she picked up Ava's carrot cake and threw it across the table, hitting her chest. The silver-haired girl calmly picked up the carrot cake that fell onto her lap and placed it on the table, as the girls watched, it puzzled them. How is she still calm and composed?  They all watched the girl's stern pale blue eyes swirl into a dark navy, sending both Ava and Isabella to stutter backwards a bit. 

Isabella's glass of orange juice flew up in the air and tilted itself to pour the liquid all over Isabella's head. Soaked in orange juice, she screamed, however, no adults were in sight. Isabella, scared and angry, continued to scream at the top of her lungs, annoying Tom to no end. He wished he could choke Isabella to make her shut up, for he longed to squeeze the life out of the girl. He muttered for Isabella's mouth to be physically sealed shut because sometimes, just sometimes, miracles would happen and Tom's thoughts would become reality.

In that instance, Isabella yelped, and a muffled scream escaped her mouth. She tried to pry her mouth open but failed. Instead, blood dripped down her fingers from scratching her mouth...for some reason, she couldn't open her mouth. She looked desperately at Ava who looked just as stunned and horrified. While the others tried to help Isabella, she started to turn purple as she choked on her own blood after 'accidentally' biting her tongue. Her eyes rolled to the back of her head after struggling to stay alive, and she fell onto the plate of food in front of her. The surrounding children started to scream and cry, except for two children. 

Tom looked horrified yet curiously at the silver girl who onlylooked blankly at the dead body.

"What happened!" Mrs. Cole screamed over the screams, to which all the children pointed towards the body.

The children were sent away, some went back to their rooms, some gathered in small groups in the playroom and some went outside. The silhouette of the silver-haired girl exited to the backyard... and Tom followed.