Chapter Nine

"Where are you? WHERE ARE YOU?" I yelled until my voice was hoarse. It was the camping trip, on the final night of camp. Instead of staying in the dormitories, we stayed in the woods, in lovely tents. I now knew why the Peculiar siblings, who ran the Arts and Crafts Camp, had told us to not play outside the campfire ring after dark. I had probably wandered in circles, screaming myself silly trying to find my bunkmates.

I turned around, shaking, at the sound of a twig snapping. I spotted a glimpse of light between the branches of a bush and pictured a glowing-eyed beast coming to eat me. Although I wasn't a toddler anymore, I still couldn't rid my mind of the image of a dark creature, hiding in a trench coat, with glowing eyes hidden behind a yellow mask.

So it was a great relief to see Ponty Peculiar push his way through the bush and crouch down next to me. After patting my hair and waiting for me to stop shivering, Ponty gave me a flashlight to hold and made the shhh motion. I nodded and he stood. He thrust his arms behind his back and thrust them forward again. At the same time, he did a swirl-kick with his feet. After doing this a few times, the branches around us mimicked the motion. I giggled as I swayed along to the dance. Ponty swayed back and then leaped forward with the strength of a thousand armies.

Suddenly, I was shot forward as if from a catapult. The giggles turned into a scream as I hurtled through the air. I realized I had danced my way off of the ground, and I started to cry. Ponty wrapped me in a hug and patted my hair. He used his performance voice to calm and soothe me, and he explained that he had convinced the trees to do a special dance.

When I asked how we were flying, he laughed, and said, "Well, the wind wanted to dance with us, of course!" Then I was laughing and then we were back at the campsite, the other counselors fussing and the other campers peeking out of their tents.

Ponty sent me towards Miss Priscilla and turned to the head of the camp, Mr. William.

"Dad, I didn't mean to" Ponty was stopped by the hand on his shoulder.

"Son, I'm not mad. Do you know what you just did? You just saved that girls' life! And just because you used the full extent of your glorious gift does not mean anything. It only means that you used such amazing power for good! OK? You're not in trouble as long as you promise to always use your connection to the sisi lain for a good purpose. OK?"

~

I gasped and sat up, my eyes flying open. My eyes scanned the room, and I determined I was still in the nurse wing, not in the Arts and Crafts Camp. I sighed in relief and looked out the window.

I had slept for a while, and it was now late afternoon. The memory of my talk with Devi and Kelly hit me, and I shuddered, thinking of the Death Draught.

I realized I had no idea what was coming when Kelly and Devi were going to break me out. I had only been told to hang in there, not to get ready or make sure I was awake. Well, I should probably be awake, but who knew? Maybe the plan was to transport an unconscious patient through the halls of the school and mysteriously back into the dorms.  I didn't know.

I placed my palms on either side of the bed and tried to push myself into a sitting position. When I pushed myself, however, I noticed a piece of paper in my hand.

I unfurled it and squinted at the cramped writing. "Kepercayaan sepia," I whispered. I looked around the room, thinking maybe the words were a spell, and I had summoned a golden chariot to bust me out of the hospital. 

No such chariot appeared, though. 

I racked my brain, trying to think of what the words could mean. I recognized the language, but I didn't know how to speak it, only a few important words.

I was stopped in my wondering by the nurse, who appeared with a tray of broth. I stuffed the paper under my gown while she set it on my knees and sighed.

"Miss Fiona, after you eat that, I'm going to need you to get dressed. I'm sending you back to your dorm today; you seem to be feeling much better. Is that alright with you?"

Stunned, I nodded. She smiled sweetly and nodded. "Alrighty. I'll get you some things, ok? Now you just drink up that broth for me."

I obediently drank up the broth, and she returned a few minutes later.  She tossed me a bag and left the room. I opened the bag and saw a uniform blouse, a green scarf, and a pair of jeans. I stared at the paper again. Was the paper a spell to get me out of here? Was that the plan all along?

Hurriedly, I change into my uniform and returned my cuterly to the hospital cart. Then, following the Nurse like a kid in the grocery store, she led me through back passageways and back to my dorm.