Chapter Twenty-Two

It was the night of the dance. We had hardly slept the night before, but for radically different reasons.

It turns out Kelly was over the moon about the dance, for a reason she kept secret from us; her old girlfriend, Joan Song, had asked her to the dance, and she had said yes. She was fussing and worrying about how to break this to us, but she was also crazy excited.

I was also excited about the dance because I really wanted a break from the drama. Also, I was worried, because what if I wasn't totally safe? And what if someone did try to kidnap me!?

Devi was bugging because her exams were the next day, after the dance, and she was beginning to have second thoughts about whether she could go to the dance or should she be studying?

"Guys, there's something I have to tell you," said Kelly, pausing from putting on her bright green eyeshadow. We looked at her quizzically. I set down her hairbrush, and saying, "What is it?"

"Well," said Kelly, shifting uncomfortably. "I know you all wanted to go as a group, but..." Kelly twisted her hair, probably wondering if she should use a relaxer or not.

"Well, my old girlfriend, Joan? Well, she, uh, she asked me to the dance, and I, well, I said yes-"

"Kelly, that's awesome!" I cut in, grinning from ear to ear.

"Way to go, Kells! Do you think she wants to get back together?" said Devi, holding her hand up for a high-five. Kelly let out a sigh of relief and returned the high-five.

"I hope so!"

"Now, guys, do you think I should put my hair in a bun, or leave it down?" I said. "Or maybe, a high ponytail?"

"Nah, a bun," said Devi. "It will highlight the dress' lace better."

"Yes, and the black scrunchie will go great against your red hair!" agreed Kelly. I nodded thoughtfully as I pulled my hair up into a tight knot.

"Kells, is that relaxer? Shame on you!" I scolded, spotting the bottle in her hand.

"Oh, I just don't know! Do you think my hair would be better natural?" asked Kelly doubtfully.

"Of course!" said Devi. "Here, you can borrow some hair dye, let's only do the tips," she suggested. "That way, your hair will match your dress!"

Kelly nodded excitedly. "And, maybe lips to match the eyes?" Devi nodded expertly. I giggled as I surveyed the dorm bathroom, now covered in creams and eyeshadow and lipsticks and hair ties.

"Come on, guys!" I giggled, pulling on a pair of flats. "The dance starts in ten minutes!"

~

By the time we got there, the dance was already in full swing. Couples twirled around on the dance floor, while singles mingled by the snack table and DJ booth.

I giggled and pointed to a pair of babes perched on each others' shoulders, making kissing faces at a cell phone.

"Wow, the one time we can use a phone..." I giggled. Devi nodded in mock sadness and dragged me over to the snack table.

I turned back around when I heard Kelly squeal. She was standing with Joan Song, talking excitedly. I took the time to admire Joans' dress.

It was deep blue, with a crop-top style bodice, and sleeves that wrapped around the shoulders. The entire bodice was hemmed in rhinestones and glitter, showing just the right amount of cleavage. The skirt was slightly darker blue, and ballooned outwards, just above the ankles, in layers upon layers of gauzy finery.