Chapter Thirty-Three

"Fiona," said Madame Tembikar, tapping her fingers against her desk. "Please explain to me what this is."

I glanced across the table and blanched upon seeing the letter that rested there. For Miss Fiona, it read, in my mothers' curvy handwriting. Not Fiona Murphy. Just Fiona.

Crap.

"Miss, I think it is a letter from my mother," I said, doing my best to keep the tremble out of my voice.

"Please read it to me," said Mme T, taking a seat behind her huge, pottery-strewn desk. Taking a deep breath, I opened the letter.

Fiona, how could you do this to our family? I meant what I said; you are no longer being funded to attend the Academy of Peculiar Artistry. However, on account of the fact that you are but fifteen, you may be allowed to maintain residence in the apartment complex that we used to own. Your brothers wish you good things. I do not. Sincerely, Cara Murphy

 I covered my mouth with my hands. How could she - well, of course, she could. She had been very clear; if I was still myself, then she would cut my tuition.

"Fiona, dear?" Mme T asked worriedly. I realized that tears had begun to slip down my face.

"Fiona, please read me the letter now, dearie," she asked, a bit sterner this time.

My voice wobbled and my lips trembled as I read. My voice nearly broke at the you are but fifteen part. How could she be so heartless? I was but fifteen, and she was cutting me out of school? When I was done, I choked back a sob. So it was true. It was official, I was never going to get to come back here. Never going to continue school, or see my friends, or-

"Fiona," said Madame Tembikar, "Is everything...well, are you..." She trailed off, peering at my face. "Fiona," she said softer this time. I glanced up at her, my vision blurred by the tears. She looked so worried. I expected her to be frustrated, but in her eyes, I saw only kindness.

"Fiona, I know how much you dearly love this school. I know how much you want to stay...what has happened that your mother doesn't want you to attend? Doesn't she know you love it here?"

I choked back a sob, and my gaze dropped back to my lap. When I looked up again, Mme T still wore the expression of kindness and worry. The sobs I tried so hard to hold back broke free.

As I cried, I told her everything from the beginning - about my being sick, about Peni-Puh, about my tuition. About my sexuality. I took a huge breath when I finally finished.

"Oh, dearie..." My shoulders shook as I looked at Mme T, tears dripping from her face. "Fiona, your mother was wrong. From what you've told me...she sounds like a jalang of a person. I'm so sorry..." She trailed off and glanced around her office, sighing. She wiped her face with the back of her hand and closed her eyes.

As she thought, I took in the fact that this was the first time I had seen her when she wasn't splattered with clay. She was wearing a long-sleeved white blouse, with blue jean overalls. Her hair was pulled tight into a bun, and I could sense the jaga spell keeping it in place. She sported a pair of black pumps.

"Fiona," she said, her voice firmer this time. "I think I have a solution. You spend most of your time in the dorms, yes?" I nodded, not trusting my voice. "And your mother said that she was giving you the apartment?" I nodded again. "Well then, the answer is obvious. If you can sell your apartment, then the wang will cover the cost of tuition for Year Four. And as you know, once you are in Year Five, you can come on a scholarship. I would be happy to offer you one."

I gasped. "Really, Madame T!? That's so...I mean, I can't...wow..." I stammered, at a loss for words. "Thank you!" I gushed. I stood to leave the office, then turned back and threw my arms around Mme T. "Thank you. So much. For everything," I whispered, before leaving to tell my friends the good news.